Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have nothing against writing HTML manually - it gives you more control - but there are simple reasons why I would never, ever recommend Notepad as a primary editor for HTML documents.

Notepad is an editor just as much as HTML is a programming language. Get a real editor - you don't write a book on a sketchpad, even if it's possible. Ignorance, in this case, is not bliss.

TOP 5 reasons why Notepad is not good for developers:

1. No syntax highlighting. The structure of the HTML is not highlighted automatically, which makes it harder to spot errors or to visualize the structures of HTML.

2. No automatic tabbing. By making proper presentation dependent on the author's laziness, this encourages bad coding habits and makes the code harder to read later on when making revisions.

3. No tabbed views. Unless your project consists of only one document, you'll end up spending a lot of time opening new views for different files. Worse yet, you can open the same file twice, which can create a conflict and loss of work when one of them is saved before the other.

4. Bad CR/LF handling. DOS, UNIX and Mac have different standards on which charaters are defined as a newline character. Notepad can't manage these, making it simple text documents hard to transfer between systems.

4. No regexp in replace. Regular expressions are truely powerful when mass-editing documents.

5. No file compare, no sort. Both are useful when comparing two versions of a document, or a model document and script output.

Member #
    I agree fully. Notepad is a legend, but thats where it should stay, legendary.

Use a text editor that has lots of functions - syntax highlighting, tabbed docs, etc.

Member #
    I would like to commend to you HTML Kit, which is one of the best text-based applications I have seen, and is free.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    i argee.
    personaly i think notepad sucks i never use it.
    But other people might have reasons to.
    But to write html dont use notepad
    "Baseball is,was,and always will be the greatest game in the world"-Babe Ruth
    Aim:wallaceisshort
    http://tsfpwttwsbmoj.phpwebspace.com

Member #
    notepad is GREAT, but for it's purpouse: viewing simple text documents. I preffer to call it a viewer than a editor, because it messes everything up when you modify a file and look at it in another OS.

Member #
    why not just use microsoft word.
    it is 99 times better then notepad.
    notpad has like 5 options to modfy text word has soooooooo much more.

Member #
    No dude, they are different things. Word is for documents, notepad is for files, not the same.
    You can compare:
    Word, Staroffice, Openoffice, and maybe Wordpad.
    and
    Notepad, Notetab, Editpad, Ultraedit, etc.

Member #
    o ok.
    sorry never really new that.
    my bad

Remove Ads