Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    What do you guys think of those people trying to put a law on the distribution of violent video games?
    --Kevin
    15" MacBook Pro With: Mac OSX 10.4.11(Tiger) 1440x900 Windows XP SP2 3GB RAM 1TB HDD
    kevind_2007--"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way."--Babe Ruth

Links:Firefox Download||Google|| HTML Help||DHTML|| Web Design Terminology||Good-Tutorials

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I enjoy many M-rated games, but none of the ones that make a point of being violent or illegal. For example, I hate GTA.

The games should be legal. The ability for minors to buy them should not. It's barely enforced, though, if at all (the rankings by the ESRB).
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    It's not only the stores that don't enforce the ESRB ratings, but "barely-there" parents as well. Kids that are raised by the TV ask for games that their parents have no clue about and the parents willingly go out and by them for the kids, which is legal at time of purchase (how is the cashier going to know that an adult is buying a game for a child?), but when the kid gets it in his/her hands thats where it becomes "illegal" again. Again, its not just the stores that should be playing an active part in enforcing ESRB ratings, but parents as well.

{/rant}
    - Brian

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    The game ratings need to be enforced more like the music industry does with some CDs, where you need your parent's permission to buy cd's with adult content.

Illegal? that's a difficult one to say.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    To be honest there's no real point in enforcing these ratings, most of these things can be bought online with no age checks - you only need a debit card...

Member #
    But to have a debit card you surely need to be of a 'mature' age?

I must say I don't see how Video Games can be linked to anything other than games, as I have been playing GTA since I was around 14 (now 16) and have never had the urge to be stupid enough to go out and replicate anything of that sort.

In reality, I feel that it is up to the parents.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    It doesn't seem like anything is up to the parents these days because kids are going to do what they like whether within or whithout reason. The only way to make sure they are doing what you feel they should be doing is to spy on them or in some other way seriously violate their privacy. Now this is an understandable thing to do if you are under the impression that they are doing deliberately harmful things, but if it's a matter of music or video games you are going too far.

I bought my first Marilyn Manson CD when I was 14 - that was 4 years ago. I have 13 of them now and my mind isn't warped at all (says I, lol). I play violent video games, but I'm not tempted to do violent acts (I couldn't bring myself to in the first place). My mom tried to shield me from all that stuff, but eventually I decided to do what I wanted to do. I guess a parent can only hope that they educate their child well enough in their early years so that they know certain things are wrong to do despite whether they are listening to them or playing them.

Member #
    There is a movement going on in the country to try to stop anybody who could potentially harm children.. They are going crazy with these infringements.. Think of this.. 100 million americans(give or take) are fundamentalist christians.. They believe it is their duty to 'save' us.. And to save kids, the most logical answer is to not let them enjoy adult pleasures..
    The last four years, and the four to come have seen a fundamentalist christian(GWB)(believes the world was created in 6 days...), in the whitehouse... The same thing happened with the other GB and Reagan, etc...
    With religion in the whitehouse, the seperation between church and state, is blurred.. Not to mention the horrible distortion of privacy laws..
    As long as there are 100 million people voting for the fundamentalist, we will continue to have our rights lowered.. Remember this in the coming novembers...
    www.controlalternate.com - Web resources and free templates. www.chaosconcepts.net - Custom web and graphic design.
    www.blog.chaosconcepts.net - My Blog

Member #
    Easy on the political talk Physt....

My main point behind my last post is this:
    I see a lot of parents being over-achievers, ie, working more, spending less time at home in the big house with all the gadgets and the really nice cars, etc and leaving the kids at home with ((Grandma || the babysitter) && the TV) . This can potentially either have a really bad effect on the kids or a somewhat good effect. Meaning: the kid(s) either: try to be over achievers the rest of their lives (not necessarily bad, but not the greatest turnout either, look at the parents: working too much and not spending time with the kids to instill morals) or they go downhill by overexposure to the "dark side" of TV (the media, violent/explicit games / movies / cartoons, etc) and end up with criminal records, or shooting up schools / rock stars.

Point-in-case: Parents should make the ultimate decision on whether kids have access to things like violent video games, violent/explicit movies, TV etc but they should also moderate it and spend time with the kids to make sure the above mentioned things aren't negatively affecting them. Parents just need to spend more "quality time" with their kids, period.
    - Brian

Member #
    Yeah.. Kids will be subjected to viewing the games/movies/tv either way though.. Just as has been for the previous thousand years.. The only way to truly protect them is to ban games.. It's either 1 or the other.. It's up to you, personally, to make the call.. Should you completely protect your children, or let them learn the ways of life like everybody else.. I personally don't think GTA etc aren't half as bad as people make them out to be.. The fact is, a certain percentage of people in EVERY generation are going to be dip****s.. I choose to recognize it, and work with it.. Fighting it is pointless, and endless..
    www.controlalternate.com - Web resources and free templates. www.chaosconcepts.net - Custom web and graphic design.
    www.blog.chaosconcepts.net - My Blog

Remove Ads