Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Okay, I've been looking around and I'd like to get an LCD. I've come down to two really good canidates... one is $100 more expensive. The question is: is the $100 worth a DVI connector? I've looked around and read about DVI, but don't really have a definitive answer.
    Monitor 1
    Monitor 2

The ONLY noticable difference between these two are the outside dimensions (meaningless) and the DVI connector. So... any LCD experts out there? Or someone that can tell me getting a DVI connector will have noticable difference (I don't game much, or really at all).
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    The DVI connector only matters with what kind of socket you'll be using to connect the monitor to the other video card. With my comp I wanted to hook up a second CRT monitor so I had to buy a DVI to VGA adapter because the second socket on the comp was made for LCD. The adapter that comes with the second monitor you linked to is a VGA to DVI adapter I believe, so you'll be able to plug the monitor into the socket for CRT monitors. The thing is, most (if not all) recent graphics cards will have a socket for an LCD and a CRT, so I think you'll be fine without the DVI adapter (assuming your computer is current).

[edit1]Another thing you could do is buy the monitor without the adapter to save $100, then go to a local comp store and buy an adapter for $30 if you really need it.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brak
    Okay, I've been looking around and I'd like to get an LCD. I've come down to two really good canidates... one is $100 more expensive. The question is: is the $100 worth a DVI connector? I've looked around and read about DVI, but don't really have a definitive answer.
    Monitor 1
    Monitor 2

The ONLY noticable difference between these two are the outside dimensions (meaningless) and the DVI connector. So... any LCD experts out there? Or someone that can tell me getting a DVI connector will have noticable difference (I don't game much, or really at all).
    DVI is essential for LCDs. Depending on the LCD, the difference from VGA to DVI varies from a slight change to crap turned into gold. Especially at high resolutions.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Remove Ads