Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Check into what kind of monitor... if it's a cheapo no-name, you're better off buying your own. Actually, I bet you can get a better one on your own anyway. I don't know if new egg delivers to the UK, but you can get good prices and (amazing) service.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Not everyone enjoys doing it, but if you were to build that for yourself it'd be considerably cheaper.

I looked at some prices for parts:

and you could easily build it for 725, including the 17" TFT.

Member #
    Yeah, I built my computer myself, and I could make three of it for the price you buy a retail one.
    But the thing is that you don't have guarantee when you do it yourself. And sometimes you simply have bad luck and you are 1 entire week trying to discover WTH the bios keeps peeping for 1 minute every time you turn it on (happened to me, and the fault was the Hard drives, I switched them from place: master to slave and slave to master and it works! weird, but time consuming)

Yeah, newegg is awesome, but they only ship to US and puerto rico. I bought there a few things when I was on vacation in the US

Member #
    Most of the parts you buy will have atleast one years warranty, so you have a guarantee of a kind, just not against you assembling it wrong.

I've never had much of a problem when building my own, aslong as you actually look at what you're buying, so all the parts are compatible, then just remember to push the graphics card and RAM in properly. It's always worked fine for me.

It's easier than lego, because it's all designed to be easy, and with all the money you save, you can build yourself a much better computer for the same price.

Member #
    Well, yeah parts have warranty, but some problems that appear are so weird that you don't even know what part to send to warranty

And you can't negate me that it's not a boring task to mount and dismount the mother board to check if there's something wrong on the reverse side of it, or if you have to return it, and the problem wasnt there, but you've already wasted 1 week or two sending it in, and receiving it back, plus you have to think of something to say so they let you return it with the package already open...
    I'm still going to assemble my computers, but I'm aware that not always think work like expected.

Member #
    If you mount the motherboard correctly to begin with I think that rules out any poosibility that you would have a problem with it in the future on the reverse side, wouldn't ya think?

Member #
    I don't know about you, but I don't do things wrong if I'm aware of that. You "think" you do it OK, but maybe it isn't, or just the something is broken and your wasting time.

And what do you do when you think you have done everything right, you turn the thing on, and it just keeps beeping, and you don't know what that means?: That's when you look every single connection, but everything is in order. Then you dissemble everything again, and that includes the mobo.
    Then you start stressing, and testing each part on another computer. And testing a memory module in another computer is easy pie, but it's boring pie to replace a mobo.

Member #
    The beeps are error messages, they tell you what's wrong.

http://www.sysopt.com/biosbmc.html

Member #
    Lol, I would start testing each part on another computer probably even before I took out the mobo. Small as my hands may be, with my monkey knuckels I don't think I'd ever be able to screw it back on again...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by energizze
    The beeps are error messages, they tell you what's wrong.

http://www.sysopt.com/biosbmc.html
    I know that, but the error that was supposed to be about didn't had anything to do with what it actually was (hard drive failure). Also, I supposed that a system can even boot without HD, so I took HD errors out of the possibilities from the first moment.
    So unless you are a real hardware geek, it's better to buy a retail comp. But of course, look in a lot of places before buying, that one is very expensive (900 pounds)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads