Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    That time is on me once again, to find a new computer in the after Christmas Sales. My current computer is 18 months old and will be relegated to my room, while the new one will be taking pride of place in my Dad's office.

We don't want to spend more than 900, and I'm looking at Advent (purely because I've never had any problems with them), I'd like you to give me the rundown on this computer.
    • 3400 mhz Processor speed
    • 512 mb RAM Memory
    • 250 Gb Hard Disk Capacity
    • DVDRW Drives Fitted
    • 256 mb Graphics card memory
    • 17 inch TFT monitor
    • 16X DVD Speed (DVDR,DVDRW,DVDROM)
    • 6 USB 2.0, 2 PCI, 2 Firewire Ports

For this price (of 899.99), I can have the computer above, with either:
    1. ATI RADEON 9550 256mb Graphics card with DVD-ROM & DVDRW drives (separate); or
    2. 256MB NVIDIA GE FORCE 6600 256mb Graphics card with a DVDRW/DVD-ROM combi drive.
    Any thoughts?

I can also get computer with specification b) for 679.99 without a screen (so any ideas anyone)?

My Dad insists on getting it from PC World (www.pcworld.co.uk) because of the 12 months Interest Free Credit option.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    I would get the Radeon, first because it's a better card IMO (It has a technology that smoothes textures that makes everything look much better, even if it's underpowered upon that other card, and don't ask me how that technology is called) and also because of the two separate drives, combo drives suck IMO, they're easier to break and have less writing features than the "dedicated" ones.

Also- Is it AMD or Intel? I'm sure it's Intel, because it's too expensive. You can get computers like that for that same price, but in Euros, not in UK pounds.

Get a AMD64 and forget about Intel. They're also better overclockers, just look here:
    http://pifast.hexus.net/pifast.php

Member #
    It's Intel P4. AMD don't do a 3.4Ghz yet.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Just edited my post

Member #
    About the display:
    What model is it? I should get the model/make and go to a local store to see how it is, because sometimes TFT displays can be good, or really good without being more expensive.
    But that doesn't count for Sony I've been using some Sony's lately, and they're all awesome. Now I'm stick to my crappy 17" CRT

Member #
    It's a basic Advent TFT Screen.

And I disagree to be honest about AMD's, as this current one is painfully slow sometimes, where my P4 of same speed is way faster!

Member #
    An additional comment, the one with the Nvidia card has a TV Tuner.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by justlivyalife
    It's a basic Advent TFT Screen.

And I disagree to be honest about AMD's, as this current one is painfully slow sometimes, where my P4 of same speed is way faster!
    In that case, I would go to a local store and check hwo that TFT is.

And about that AMD/Intel thing; what you're doing is not a objetive test, other factors go in the mix in your case too: Maybe the HD is slower, you've never done a defrag on that computer, less RAM, slower RAM, different OS, different OS config, etc, etc.

I have a AthlonXP 2500+ and I am more than happy with it, plus if later on I feel like I need a bit more power, I just buy a cheap DDR module, and I overclock the CPU to 3200, and I'm good to go for a while.
    Also, for the price you get a P4, you can get a much better AMD, not one of the same speed. And all in all, no 32bit processor can beat a 64bit one, just try it yourself.

EDIT- The TV tuner can be interesting... I would go for the nVidia then, unless you really really never watch TV.

EDIT2- Also if possible, save a few bucks and get another 512 megs of RAM, it's unbelievable how much RAM memory can improve your comp's speed.

EDIT3- Oh yeah I forgot this is for your dad, well then, unless he does really intensive stuff, the stock one will be good. But get AMD and safe a lot of cash.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Get 1 GB of RAM minimum.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    You could also consider spending a bit more money and getting either:

Intel P4 3.8Ghz - They just brought it out!
    AMD Athlon 64-Bit 4000+ - Again, just brought out.
    AMD Athlon FX-55 - Dunno when this came out lol.

Now I'm no hardware whizz, but apparently they are the top-o-the-range processors. How much more you would have to pay for them I dunno tho.

I agree about the 1GB RAM, it's much better, and for your choice, I'd go with the Radeon, for the sole reason, that IMO it's better. Nvidia is way good too though!
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads