Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: MSN vs Google

Member #
    http://beta.toolbar.msn.com/

I see microsoft have released two products that are targeting google. This toolbar, and their new MSN search. I heard they have pumped over $100 million dollars into MSN search in order to get it noticed. Pretty hectic.

Member #
    I saw they'd launched tv advertisements the other day about their search engine. (uk)

Member #
    Oh boy - so Google is trying to take over the world, while Microsoft has already taken over the world and is trying to stop Google.

Competition is good for us, I guess - not always though.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've seen a great increase in the number of MSN searches ever since they released their new search engine. Seems to be working, and hey - the results aren't too shabby either. I hate to say it, but Microsoft is doing something good.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Microsoft has done a lot of good, but it has all come in a wrapper with the label "EVIL" on it.

Member #
    I really dont think Microsoft are all that bad. We are an action-pack subscriber, so every 3 months we get all the latest software from them, a couple of licences, support etc, and for the price... Its a steal! People do label them as the baddies, but they definetly try to improve in all areas.

I heard one of the cool things about MSN search is the Encarta answers that display alongside your results. That could be really helpful sometimes! :bandit:

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    One thing Google does well is integrate their search technology with anything they can think of. Their AdSense program is targeted to the current page's content/site's content/user's nationality, Gmail searches for related messages and sites, and the new Google Maps can link destinations to their web sites and find related material.

The only two integration elements that I've ever seen Microsoft do heavily is their Passport login system and trying to integrate MSN messenger into Outlook, Hotmail, etc. I don't much like Passport though, and MSN Messenger blows chunks, namely in its nonexistent reliablity. The damn thing was down every day at some time or another, so I said "screw it" and switched to Y!M for a while.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Ever tried Skype?

Member #
    Skype is great.

Filburt - did you see my other post about Google Maps? They've managed to include their search technology in it as well.

Member #
    Also, Google are selling off a sh*t load of share on monday.... Valentines Day!

I read about it somewhere on Cnn.com

Remove Ads