Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7053712/

Ironic that it's posted on MSN.

BTW, something like 30% or more of WDF users use Firefox from a random sampling of who's online.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Although, one thing to note is that this is an average... meaning this represents sites that have 99% IE, and sites that have less than 50% IE... so, it all depends on the context.

Although, good news none the less.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Hell yeah.

I read somewhere (cant remember where) that 46% of people that read blogs are using Firefox. Thats shows you the impact that the blogging community have on the internet.

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    No. It shows the impact that the blogging community can have on the blogging community. It's still a pretty small corner of the web world and doesn't have the impact on the rest of the web that it thinks it has.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I wouldn't jump on that mossoi... many (I repeat, many) Fortune 100 companies are exploring and or already pursuing blogging and finding its benefits astronomical.

How do you think it doesn't have an impact on the rest of the web?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I just think it's a trend. The media doesn't know what the hell it is and thinks it's a godsend and that "bloggers" are mysterious people from the neverworld.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Not jumping on anything Brak - bloggers have a lot of work to do before the general public realise they are more than people just keeping a diary online.

Regardless of what the fortune 100 are doing (does the general public care?) it's the media who lead people and they don't give a damn about what bloggers are saying unless there's a juicy story involved. "Bloggers state that Firefox renders pages correctly" is not going to hold the front pages.

The average user is moving to Firefox almost entirely because of media stories about Security in IE and these are only badly researched scare stories to put to air on a slow news day.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Just checked the latest unique visitors for a motorbike site I built. 7% of 1300 visitors are using Mozilla. To me that's a more realistic figure as it's not specifically aimed at designers who are likely to be using FF.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I dunno... as I believe, a few high ranking media persons have been forced to resign as of late because of... bloggers. In the past election here in the US, what was the most frequented sites? That of bloggers covering the information. What was the most trusted source of information regarding the recent Tsunami? Blogs (In fact, I watched at least 3 full network news stories on this subject - how blogs were covering the Tsunami).

As for your motorbike site, like I said.. it all depends on the site. I know of a site we develop at work that brings in excess of 100k users/month, and it is in no way related to blogging - yet has a 20% firefox share. It's kind of random, although a lot of it depends upon what country you're in. Spread of firefox in the states is a lot higher, and if your site is targeted towards younger people - then IE drops off very fast.

That's another reason why market share doesn't matter. There is no "realistic" figure - the only realistic figure is the one the site you're developing for has.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    More realistic of the average usage figures across the web (an average figure is an average regardless of devation from the median - you can't just dismiss it because not all the figures that make up the average are close to each other).

The bloggers that caused the resignations were helped hugely by the sudden and likely short-lived interest by the media in what looked like a flavour of the month story. I'm still not convinced that bloggers are read by anything like the number of people who read newspapers and watch TV news.

"The most trusted source of information". That sounds like a convenient fact. How was that measured? Who was asked? Were the people who don't read blogs asked their opinion? I'm not prepared to believe that more people read blogs to find out information than watched the TV. That's a made to fit the figures stat - "Most regular blog readers say they regularly read blogs" type of thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads