Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Netscape 8

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Netscape 8 beta was apparently supposed to be released today, but they did deploy a new site design they had been apparently planning (note my use of "apparently" because Netscape is a piece of s*** and I don't care about it).

I did like this aspect of their design:
    We have detected that you do not have the latest version of Flash. The NEW Netscape.com requires Flash 7. Please click the button below to be taken automatically to the Macromedia site where all you have to do is click to quickly download Flash 7.

Once you have completed downloading Flash then restart your computer and go to http://netcenter.netscape.com/ to experience the NEW Netscape.com.
    Dumbasses, requiring plugins is one of the major screwups of web designers today.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I have to download Netscape 8 for work to see if the sites we make still look good in the new Netscape.

I just downloaded it and when it installs it asks you for a 5 digit zip code for local weather. This bothers me! #1. I don't live in the states, so this is useless to me. #2. I hate useless extras that people put into programs.

I did however find it funny that Netscape needs commericals to advertise their browser.

Member #
    Never seen such a hostile post from you filburt.

It's funny because people who hated Internet Explorer (back in the days of IE2 and 3) used Netscape, but complained about the lack of features. Then IE4 came out and many started using it for it's robust features.. the only thing I can recall Netscape having on IE4 was faster loading times.

Since then it's been all downhill for Netscape, which ironicly led to the production and rise of Firefox.

Why would they release yet another browser, with Firefox coming on so strong and MS planning to release a new version of Internet Explorer? You think they'd give up already.

Member #
    I have more problems with Netscape 8 beta!

So, I'm testing a site I work on to see if it still works good with the new netscape. So far I have only had problems.

#1 - Flash files move up and down when you scroll like if they are trying to catch up.

#2 - Pop up windows with a set hight and width open in a whole new window at max size.

#3 - I have links in a table at the side of my page and when I click on one they open a whole new page as well.

I have only been testing Netscape 8 for about 10 minutes. I am curious to see what else happens.

Member #
    I like the browser.. Interesting navigational changes.. and weird system errors.. still beta, so it's ok.. I definitely cannot see myself switching from Mozilla.. Also.. Does the company that makes this browser also make real player? they look a lot alike..
    www.controlalternate.com - Web resources and free templates. www.chaosconcepts.net - Custom web and graphic design.
    www.blog.chaosconcepts.net - My Blog

Member #
    Didn't Netscrape die in like 1998? How many people still use their browser anyway? I know at my old school they'd use it in the counciling office to do those online whaddya-wanna-study-in-college tests, but that doesn't count as general use.

Member #
    I use Internet Explorer and I have FireFox and Netscape for website testing purposes.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The UI of Netscape is by far the worst browser design I have ever seen. I am convinced they are secretly trying to make it worse.

However, your qualms with Flash should be put aside by now. Latest reports are something like 99.8% of the web is Flash 5 enabled. Sorry bud, you're by far the minority. Flash is becoming neccecary Remember, it's an ever-changing, ever-interactive internet.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Menu tabs on the wrong side anybody?

I still think their browser is aesthetically challenged, but at least they've decided to get rid of their own customised scrollbar.

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It's a shame that AOL have continued the Netscape name. Mozilla was the natural progression from the true Netscape browser, version 8 is yet another example of AOL getting everything wrong.

Do us a favour AOL, let Netscape die.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads