Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I was thinking of going to college to do a course in web design, to get a job in future what course whould payoff, a mate has done a networking course and is now on a cisco one, im not sure I want to go down that path

What do you reckon.

Cheers
    Lee

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Loaded question. Go with what interests you the most. It's better to be in a medium paying job that you love than a high paying job that feeds on your soul. Wait... I have a low paying job that's digested my soul and sanity multiple times... ummm.... yeaahhhh.....

Personally, I'm a blitzkrieg kind of person, I'm one class away from my masters degree, and I've also taken classes covering MCSE (2 left I think), CCNA, Sec+. Already got my A+, I've taken the server+ and Net+ classes. As soon as this damned masters is done with (5/21/2005) I'm going to hunker down and start taking cert tests. Now I have no idea what I actually want to do, so all of this may be worthless, but hey, it's all interesting. May even go for another BS or MS, dunno.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    What course in web design would pay off most?

None. I haven't met a single graduate that took courses in web design that knows more than I do, a person who's not taken a single web design course in their life.

Go to Amazon, go on a shopping spree. Get the good ones, Designing with Web Standards, Web Standards Solutions, Eric Meyer on CSS (1 & 2), Defensive Design for the web, Don't make me think, Building Accessible Websites, Elements of Typographic Style. Read all of them. Read them again. Build websites. Don't stop, don't ever stop building websites. Learn flash. Learn PHP. Learn .NET. Learn JSP. Learn Ruby. Don't stop learning.

You'll learn more in 3 months than people that take 4 years of BS (fitting acronym ) go through. And that, will be more valuable to employers than any BS degree.

More on this thought later...
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Beter acronym is BS_IT. Yep, I really do have a BS in IT And I'm finishing up a MS_IT (more S*it). Ok, it's really MS CIS, but I haven't thought of a good acronym for it yet
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I do not want to go to college for web development, but I feel that I don't have much of a choice.

I can learn development languages in a snap and use them efficiently, and I know it's not worth my time and money to go to college just to validate this point. The problem is that a lot of firms (judging by what I have looked into around where I live) strongly encourage at least a 2 year degree.

My other problem: do they even teach according to today's standards in colleges? Are they teaching XHTML? Do they teach you CSS? Or do they expect that you'll make your sites with HTML tables?

What can they teach that I will not learn on my own in a fraction of the time?

And Kyle, you said more on this later. Maybe you should do an article in your blog about it. That would be cool.

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Well a 2 yr degree doesn't mean it has to be one in web design, although minoring in it couldn't hurt. Some firms look for actual experience, others prefer certs.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Experiece >>> Degree
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I would recommend gaining a degree in something a bit more recognised than web design. Something like information architecture, networking, or a traditional design or communication course.

Once you've got something like that under your belt you can apply what you've learned to your web design methods. Most employers want to see that you have a recognised qualification, most often they don't care what it's in! For example, if you've got a degree in Applied Mathematics or Physics you're likely to be considered for a technical position above people who have qualifications more specifically aimed at the job in question. This is because what many employers are looking for in an employee is proof of the ability to learn, understand concepts and see something through to the end. Often it's a hindrance to have learnt one method of doing something only to have to relearn how to achieve the same thing but how the employer wants it done.

I honestly don't think 'web design' is a meaningful enough discipline to be usefully studied in a formal manner.

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    mossoi hit it on the head. Professor told the class today about some revamps they're doing to the MBAs in a couple of months. They polled some Fortune 500 companies about what they were looking for in managers, and the ability to learn quickly and adapt were right at the top along with leadership and the ability to listen. Management skills were near the middle.

Web design can be a career, but it's alway good to have a backup plan, or in my case, backup plans
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    i'm doing internet computing and i'd say prolly standard compsci

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads