Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Hi everyone,

Well, I've been working in this industry for over 6 years now, and I have to say... I'm bored out of my freakin mind. I'm thinking of leaving it all behind and doing something else. I'm just so disillusioned with this field. All of it. Marketing, advertising, "creative services" - all meaningless busy work that produces nothing of real value for society. I think about what I do - what I have become - and it sickens me. How did I get here, anyway?

So anyway, I have some ideas for new paths in life, and I was wondering what you guys think of them:
    1. Automotive design. I've always wanted to be a car designer. Maybe even own my own small-scale car manufacturer. I have some really cool ideas and read up on auto design a lot (aerodynamics, suspension design, race car engineering, etc.). I also studied mechanical engineering for a couple years in school, so I'd have a little bit of a head start. Oh, and I LOVE cars!
    2. Industrial design. I have some cool ideas for design and function of lots of things, like watches, furniture, appliances, etc. My background in architecture wouldn't hurt, either!
    3. Software. I have a couple of ideas for applications that I could produce myself that could bring in some serious potential revenues. I have accumulated a lot of knowledge of software design over the last several years, and I am confident that I could make something really breakthrough in some niche markets that are way behind the times.
    4. Music. I always wanted to record some of my music professionally. I really love music - it's one of the few things in life that consistently invigorates me. I know I'm too old to "make it" big time, but should that really stop me?
    5. Write a screenplay. If the Wachowski brothers can do it, anyone can. Entertaining millions of people is certainly a more productive use of my creativity than designing web sites.
    6. Finance. My brother is an accomplished financial analyst and advisor. I think with my mathematical mind and his huge scope of knowledge in the field, we could probably operate a successful hedge fund. Of course, money bores the crap out of me, so this is kinda "meh."
    7. Traveling Messiah. Part of my self-discovery would probably have to involve helping others. I would like to travel throughout south america helping people build homes, education, and work. But I'm afraid of being killed.
    8. Screw it all. Quit working altogether, make some revenue-producing investments, minimize expenses (no car, cable, or internet) and do "nothing."

Any advice or insight appreciated.

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    1. Probably hard to really get going.
    2. That could be fun, especially if you patent the next generation toilet and make billions.
    3. Only if you focus on a niche market, and piracy will absolutely **** you off in any case.
    4. Just don't go with a major record label or I'll disown you as a moderator.
    5. Why not, although it may be hard actually implementing it.
    6. If you weren't bored by it then you could make a living out of it.
    7. You need money for that.
    8. It'll be paradise for the first few weeks then you'll be bored out of your mind.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Being that I have not the experience in the field that you do, I cannot say anything to deter you from leaving it. I can only encourage you to do what you enjoy.

I think, from what I've seen on your site, that #2 would be a good fit for you. You could also do music on the side, eh? Hit two birds with one stone. Heck, you could have a nice chair to sit on while on stage or in the studio.

Member #
    OMG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOO

transio i really like your work. i must say i will be disappointed if you go, but i think everyone needs to follow a career that makes them happy.

i agree with eddy, i think #2 would be best for you. maybe you can invent a dryer that is lint-free(ie disposes of it itself hehe) and make alot of money.

whatever you do, you'll be good at it.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Steve,

While being decades younger (god, I love making people feel old) - I have been through the hoops, been through the chaos that is the American business model. My fear is that through every single one of your "alternative" choices you're ending up in the same place - it's just a different route.

There's always an idea, and that idea is usually great and magnificent. But then clients warp that idea into some steaming pile of rubbish. It's how the process works, over and over again.

I've learned to deal with it for now, although in the future I plan to simply support myself through my sites - but in a more direct manner (no clients involved). Have you ever considered this route? I love the web, I love the cool new things happening with it - but I'm convinced as long as someone else is paying the bills, I'll never get a product I'm entirely satisfied with.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brak
    While being decades younger
    Let's get this straight, bub! It's ONE decade, 3 months, and 3 days! :-D

Now then, thanks everyone for the replies. I think you make a good point, Brak, that whatever route I go I should be selling products, not services.

Right now, I'm REALLY leaning towards automotive or industrial design. I'm going to take a month vacation and do some preliminary research to see if I an start up a company in one of those areas! Maybe both?!

You know, no matter what I do, I'll always make websites. I think, anyway. I said the same thing about art and architecture 10 years ago, and look at me now, I don't even go to galleries or read architecture magazines anymore.

Anyhow, enough babbling... thx again

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Just don't take that idea I PM'd you with last year, or I'll bitch slap you so hard you'll go crying to Filburt!

Brak, wonder if "it" could use anything he has?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I never thought I would see this.

I would go along with what Brak is saying, get a network of sites going and make revenue from these sites. Look at Brak now. He has been a busy little bee recently and the sites are counting up. Pretty soon he will be writing his posts on the forum from some exotic island somewhere with his 17" Powerbook while having grapes peeled for him by some hot lady friend in a bikini! You should think about joining him.

Either that or I say work full time for filburt on WDF

Whatever you go with good luck with with it and enjoy that vacation!!! I wouldn't be surprised to see you going into the automotive design side of it all. Having seen some of your designs and work in the past I think you would go hand in hand with it, very well.

Hope to see you continuing to post on here as well and am sure that websites will still flow from your direction.

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Filburt doesn't bay us bubkus lol. A site network is a good idea, Brak's not the only one with a site network
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Transio, life isnt always about the money... Its plays a part, but being happy at what you doing and having quality of life is sometimes more important. So go with what makes you happy first! Everything else will fit in to place.

While we on the topic of sites and networking of sites etc, Wired, When the hell is "Ze Secret Project" coming out??? We all dying to see! :classic:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads