Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Desk design

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Ikea furniture is cute, but poorly constructed.

I just got some bedroom furniture from www.westelm.com - made in Malaysia, but with a lot of care. Even the packaging was amazing - super-thick cardboard, every piece individually wrapped in foam paper, and layers of foam on the outside.

Simple assembly, solid construction, real wood veneers, and good pricing sum it all up - I'll buy from them again.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    My Ikea **** Lasts. They had good PB&J at their cafeteria as well, but a REALLY scary kid's area, where they watch kids for their shopping parents.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Thank you transio, for backing me up.

Wired, for you:
    I haven't done anything crazy with my Ikea furniture. I bought a dresser and I put clothes in it. Every day I would open a drawer or two or three, and then I'd close them. One day I heard a weird noise in doing that. Then the drawer below had some broken black plastic. After a year, three of the six drawers were no longer fully functional.

That's the first story, here's another... I moved about a year ago. I decided to get most of my furniture used, which may be an option for you too, Brak, btw. I looked on Craig's List (www.craigslist.org). There were two girls selling all the stuff in their apt, one had black furniture, one had white, everything was the same. Less than two years old, bought at IKEA. I asked about the black dresser and the girl said, we're not selling that, it's falling apart. So I decided not to find out how long it would take for the rest of it to break.

Brak, for you:
    As I mentioned, I got used furniture, mainly from Craig's List. My brother has a gorgeous desk. Real wood, good shape, glass top, $30 at a garage sale! Jealous! Also, you can find furniture at Target and similar stores (avoid Kmart) but I am not 100% sure of the quality. Also, office supply stores sell desks, so check out Staples, Circuit City, Best Buy, Office Depot, etc. And since your room is not tiny, you should be able to find something somewhere.

And once you've figured it out, check out Sally Beauty Supplies (if they have those where you are) for the economy size clear nail polish.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads