Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I know there are many people a lot more experienced than I, which is why I would like some suggestions. Essentially this is my first e-commerce client he wants it as an extension of his existing business (beach wear) he wants to sell a few hundred products, have inventory management online and that's about it. I am thinking of using something like OScommerce or CubeCart. What do you think?

Member #
    I've never used CubeCart. However, i've used OSCommerce several times and found it to be quite good. Simple to use and a lot of options. The only negative thing about it is that i had to get involved with PHP when trying to change the way certain things look and say. I may have an older version however.

I even offer my clients an option to have MYSELF update products at no cost but they do it themselves because they feel that OSCommerce's administration section is that simply to manage.

Hope this helps!
    Coming this summer...Optimum Site.Com !
    Yea i know, it sounds like a bad movie promo, but it'll be good, I PROMISE! :classic:

Member #
    * "simple to manage" is what i meant.
    Yea i know, it sounds like a bad movie promo, but it'll be good, I PROMISE! :classic:

Member #
    Simple to use and a lot of options.
    That's what I thought, however, on another issue I quoted the guy a rough estimate of about $2k and he kind of freaked out...he said he was thinking more in terms of $1k but yet he wants about a 100 products on there and complete inventory management. I think my price was reasonable what do you guys think? no signed contract yet

Member #
    Who's going to be importing the products? and configuring the cart?

You can try reasoning with him at 1800. Tell him that installing the cart is very time consuming (with 100 products it will be). Resizing pictures, testing. Let the client know about the cool little features he could use on his own time. The way i look at it is...1800 would cost me 200 to keep him as a client. I'd take the 10% loss.

It could be difficult because your only giving him 200 off as appose to 1000 like he wanted. But sometimes they try and get something out of you just to be happy.

But hey, if its not cost effective...DONT LISTEN TO ME!

Member #
    $1,000 for an e-commerce site with 100+ products is pretty cheap. I wouldn't go any lower than $2000.00.

Most clients who are not tech savvy are going to freak out when they hear the price. They do not have the knowledge of the amount of work/effort that really goes into designing a website (especially an ecommerce site). Sipmly exmplain to them the whole process from start to finish, the work neccessary, the features they will have, etc... Explain to them this site will easily make sales/revenue which will easily pay for the design price of the site.

Remove Ads