Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding a salary situation I am a graphic designer, web developer and IT person for a manufacturing company. I am curious what you guys think of my salary and how much of a salary increase you think I can ask for. Here are some of the duties I perform on my job, I have been at this job for 1 year (and worked here 4 months through a temp agency).

15 catalogs
    Light photography
    Designed and developed website with other members of the web team
    Creating instruction manuals for products
    A lot of image editing
    Built, installed operating systems on more than 15 computers
    Maintain all 30+ computers at our facility (including troubleshooting printers and other electronic devices)
    Designed and printed labels, set up thermal printers and software
    Light Flash work for website
    Numerous cut sheets for new products and promotions.

I currently make 28500, I am thinking of asking for 35-36k do you guys think that this is acceptable, am I asking for too much? My friends and family think I should be making 40k. I am a graduate from a college with a associates degree in Multimedia/web design. I have 4 years experience. Anyone's thoughts would be greatly appreciated, also any advice on asking for more money? Has anyone ever been in a situation like this before?

Thanks,

-J

Member #
    First off welcome, yes you are certainly underpayed even 35 is low. From what it sounds like your doing the work of atleast 2 people. Definatly as for that raise.
    When life gets you down grab some M&M's.
    http://www.lebanonequestrians.org

Member #
    Locations matters quite a bit in a question like this. Here in WI 35/36k is nowhere near low, but whereas in CA it might be. Is your 4 years of experience actual work-related experience for another firm, or have you just been doing design for 4 years on your own.

I've been doing it for about 6-7 years on my own, but only in the past year have I held down the job of an actual web developer at a small firm. I make less than you, but create my own hours and understand that in the world of small business you have to start at the bottom.

To answer your question, 35/36 sounds like a good number.

Member #
    I agree that it depends on where you live. A big town like Chicago, 35k is pretty low. We'd need more info to answer you with any confidence... in the meantime, the AIGA/Aquent site has general salaries for different areas of the use.

http://www.designsalaries.com/index.html?id=t52605

---Magada---

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Just curious... how did you wind up in that job for under 30k with so much experience?

You may have set yourself up for disaster. It's unlikely that your employers will give you any significant raise after only 4 months unless they feel trapped. And in that case, they'll expect much more output from you and/or look for other candidates to cover their options down the road.

Keeping this in mind, you should get as much money as you can - aim high (39k) - but first have other job offers lined up to cover your own bases. When you go to interview at the other places, tell them that you're considering leaving your current position because you're making 36k, but you feel you deserve more for the amount of work you do, as you're a significant asset to the company, though unappreciated as such. Make sure not to use them as a reference, and be explicit with the companies with whom you interview that you have not given notice yet and would not like your employer contacted.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    It's unlikely that your employers will give you any significant raise after only 4 months
    I got an ~80% raise 3 months after working at my job. Ask firmly, but politely. If you're truely an asset to the company, and make them money, and make clients happy, they'll have no issues giving you a raise.

Oh, and even 36 is low IMO. People working at McDonalds make more.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Actually I side with Transio. It sounds like they are looking for cheap labor, somebody young who is willing to do alot. They found you at a temp agency so it sounds like they would not take you seriously unless you just have a very generous boss. But I do feel you are not making enough given your talent. You should absolutly have a plan B.

Remove Ads