Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Broken toe!!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    The luck. I was coming down the stairs (backwards) with some empty boxes. Tomrrow is trash day and I thought I would go ahead and get it out of the way early. Well coming down, I banged my shin hard against a little blockade we have at the bottom of the stairs to prevent andrew (my son) from climbing them. I had the boxes in my arms and felt like I was going to fall and make a ton of racket. So I instinctfully grabbed onto the handrail planted my other foot on the ground and swung around nearly losing my balance again but managed to stay upright. I was ok save for the serious pain now in my bloody scraped up shin. I dropped the boxes and started to whine quietly to myself trying not to wake anybody up as I paced back and forth around the kitchen, in the den, in the living room, etc.. I finally got he nerve to go ahead and grab the boxes again and take them outside. However on the way back in I felt a slight pain in my little toe. Not really a pain actually, more of pressure in my toe. I got back in the house and took a look at it. It seemed to be slightly swollen so I grabbed it and it poped..

I let it go..

..at this point I have put the pieces together in my head, and have deduced I broke my toe. I immediatly ran/hobbled up the stairs turned on the lights and woke my wife and told her I need to go to the hospital immdiatly!! Ive never broken a bone befor and didnt really know how to react. I explained to her my situation and asked her advice since she also has been in a similar situation. She first tried to ignore me for waking her, however than after sensing my plight, proced to tell me not to worry about it, the doctors cant do anything about it anyway and all I can do is tape it up myself if it makes me feel better.

So basicly I am writing this with my foot above my head in an ice pack wrapped in a towel knowing I am calling in tomrrow

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Urghh!

I'd drop into a hospital and get them to get it all set correctly... you don't want the toe to go back together with all the bits in the wrong order...

Sean

A small village near a small city near a small cit
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ew gross!

I've never broken a bone before either, and have only ever had one major traumatic injury - when I was 12 months old and got stung by a bee at the zoo (of which I am allergic to).

Hope you're better soon
    tekp :cheeky: tekponline.com

Member #
    Once when I was a kid I was running from my brother (I will admit it, I was running from my younger brother ) and i was striding away, my right toe went too close to a door frame, my right little toe has never looked the same again.

Maybe we should call the toe thread?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I slipped on the steps to a waterslide at a pool and a vertical bar that was supporting a handrail went straight between two of my toes, with my full weight behind it. Lots of blood... lovely....

4 days, and 2 operations under general anaestetic, later I got out of hospital with a wire (called a K-wire I think) holding my toe to my foot. It had snapped a metatarsal....

David Beckham did the same thing... took him 6 weeks before he could play football again... took me (on the NHS!) 6 weeks before they took the wire out! :-o

I still have a wonderful scar to remind me never to go near a waterslide again...

Sean

Member #
    I dropped a hammer on my toe when I was 3...

I don't remember what happened, and I don't think I want to.

Member #
    I was recently in an accident where I flung over the handlebar of my bike and lost conciousness. Without going in to detail regarding the fractures and injuries (elaborately described in the mod section), I recalled a lot of the injuries my father described back in the 70's.

My father (a retired Pediatric Cardiologist), also started up a service where Norwegian sailors could contact a mainland hospital when injuries beyond the onboard medical officer's skills were encountered.

All merchant vessels of the trade fleet have onboard doctors. However, they are not equipped, nor can they deal with, complicated Trauma's. If something of that nature happens while at sea, they tend to seek help/assistance from onshore hospitals and experts. As my father pioneered this service (late 60's), we (the children) "witnessed" a lot of horendous stories.

To illustrate one:
    A man working on the super structure of a cargo vessel, lost his grip and fell. His safety harness snapped, and he fell 60 feet before beeing impaled by one of a many metal struts (21 feet high) that supported the cargo of thousands of tons of metal pipes they were carrying.
    The metal pipe (3 inches in diameter), penetrated his groin and exited his left shoulder. He stopped 6 feet short of the deck, speared on the metal pipe, fully alive and concious.

The onboard doctor didn't quite know how to handle the situation and radioed for help. They where 2 days sailing away from Cape Town. This was one of the situations where global knowledge of treatment facilities were crucial.
    My fathers department supplied immediate (acute) medical advice followed by information about where to go to get appropriate treatment for the injuries suffered.
    (the impaled guy actually survived)
    S. Rosland

Member #
    LOL, funny....I shattered my wrist on my Razor scooter, just days after they hit the market...What the luck!! I never rode that thing again
    --Kevin
    15" MacBook Pro With: Mac OSX 10.4.11(Tiger) 1440x900 Windows XP SP2 3GB RAM 1TB HDD
    kevind_2007--"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way."--Babe Ruth

Links:Firefox Download||Google|| HTML Help||DHTML|| Web Design Terminology||Good-Tutorials

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    FYI: some foot bones they can't set, some they can. definitely see a doctor.

One time I stepped on a power plug brick (prongs up of course), went into the heel of my foot. O U C H. Didn't scar or anything just bled a lot and it hurt like hell.

Here's the winner though:

6 years old. 6th birthday party to be exact. Rented a room somewhere, had a party, fun fun fun. Anyway, we were cleaning up after the party and my mom told me to close the venetian blinds on the windows. So I'm closing them, right? Well I get to this one window, tug the rope that closes them, nothing happens. Tug again (not hard or anything), nothing happens. So I stand there for a bit trying to figure out why it's not closing.

Then it happened.

BWAMMO!!!

Venetian blinds (frame and all) fell down on me. Blood everywhere. One of the blades that make up the blinds cut my nose diagonally. So of course I'm yelling my head off. Went to the emergency room. Now back then, they couldn't stich up the nose area (not enough skin I think), so I had a butterfly bandage covering my nose and most of one eye for a couple of days. Because it wasn't stitched together, it left a scar.

Bad side: Lots of blood, lots of pain, big scar (no worries, after a while most people couldn't see it anymore, and unless I mention it, no one can even see it now, faded a looooong time ago, even I have to look hard to see it in a mirror, it has been 20 years after all)

Good side: Sued the *** off of the guys who owned the place, got free ride to my B.S.

Bad side: I had to pay for my M.S.

Good side: Fantastic Four rocked
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Yep, busted my toe yesterday...

"pretty colors!!!"
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads