Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am confident enough in my abilities to design a good simple website now.I want to go around my local area asking small buisnesses if they would like a website designed. Some people tell me this is a bad way to go about looking for clients. I have no idea what to think. Is this a bad idea? Also I think that actually getting paid to do anything will give me increased motivation to keep learning more partly out of want and partly out of need.I kinda believe that the best way to learn is to do. Another thing, I am ony 16, but I am fairly confident in my people skills.Will my age work against me? I would appreciate comments and general advice.

Member #
    I think it is a good idea. Word of mouth is a great way.

Especially as your targeting local companies, you will become known well in your town/area. Then, the word will spread outwards.

However, because your young (this is not my opinion) local companies obviously are smaller than large ones, and may not fully trust in your success. On the other hand, your family may know someone who needs some work done, this could open the door for you.

Be confident!

Member #
    I would call or email companies instead.
    Find websites that have a bad design and offer to revamp it.

Make an online portfolio (if you haven't already) and show them what you can do. I also had an offline portfolio which had screenshots of my work ... you can do that as well if you would like to go around to different companies in your area.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Your age will work against you, it's going to suck, but it does. I'd suggest building up an extremely impressive portfolio, and just be very knowledgeable about the business side of web sites.

People do not buy websites because they look pretty. They buy websites because they make them money.

I'd more suggest cold-calling or sending out personalized letters to businesses. Do not use email. Give out business cards however you can. When someone turns you down, give them two business cards. When someone hires you, give them five. The idea is that people will see your work and be impressed with what you can do. Then, you can arrange meetings and show them how a website can make them money. Don't blab on about design, standards, ability, ecommerce or any of that BS. Just lay out the facts of how it can make them money.

Remember: People do not buy websites because they look pretty. They buy websites because they make them money.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Ya got gusto kid and that is what it takes...

Seriously if I saw some kid come knocking on my door in the summer heat talking about how he wants to improve my bottom line, I would think I struck gold.. Seriously how many kids do you know willing to go though that during their summer vacation. It would show your determination, self drive, ethics, and affordiable labor!! All the good stuff small buisness owners are looking for, and those are the people small buisness owners want on their team. Yes your age might work agaist you but you might consider suggesting smaller jobs to give them an idea of the quality of your work. You never know what oppertunity might bring you.

P.S. The only bad way to looking for clients is to sit on your a** and wait for them to come to you.

Member #
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

Member #
    I got hired!!!!

I had to go to the destist. And I noticed that there were a lot of small buisnesses in the area. Seeing that I had an hour long wait I decided that I should go around asking if anybony needed a website. After about 20 buisnesses I finally got lucky and found a photographist that needed a website. I got hired for $200. Is this too little? It's my first paid job, so I wasn't expecting much anyways.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    that is 200 you would have otherwise NOT had.. so i say it is good.. I personally applaud you for taking action.

Member #
    Congrats, man. That's more than I've made on web design (me = $0).

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It depends on the complexity of the website, but in general, yes, 200$ is too little. Still, it's a start. Once you've built up a certain history so you can show your clients what they're paying for, and once you've got a few more jobs under your belt, you should probably start asking for more.

You can get a ton of money doing web design for people who pay you, while still undercutting the price of so-called professional web developers. That is to say, you can offer businesses a better value than any `professional' web developer out there, and still make more than enough for your needs (at 16; once you get older, it changes).

Remove Ads