Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I was just wondering what codings ishould use to make an o.k. web site. I know i should use c.s.s., xhtml, what others?

I'm not here for you, I'm here to raise your discomfort

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MoRpHeUs
    I was just wondering what codings ishould use to make an o.k. web site.
    Well, what do you mean good?

If you mean standards wise, CSS and XHTML are the right ones. As long as they validate (http://validator.w3.org/) This ensures that you are doing your side of the bargain by following guidelines set by the W3C.

Presentation wise those are the 2 main markups you would use.

Hope this helps.

Member #
    Your question is overly general.

There are no "quality issues" with regard to what code you use.

As a professional designer you would like to organize your code in such a way that maintanance gives you less work.
    Meaning that if your client all of a sudden wants a complete redesign/makeover of their site, you would only have to redesign the "design-definition-page" (normally a CSS page), which would alter the presentation of all 4000 pages on the client's site in one go.

Clientside:
    If you hardcoded all presentation details on each page (i.e. <font size="XX" color="XXXXX"...>), then you would have to change all text/layout formatting on each (4000) individual page.
    However, any visitor who 'clicks' on these pages, will not notice wether the page is coded this or that way, as he only sees the end result.

The problem most often arises when coding special effects for multiple client platforms (old IE versions, Safari, Opera, Netscape, etc, that requires different code to present the material the same way.).
    With regard to compliance, mainstream browsers seem to handle the most commonly used HTML tags best.
    If using spear-end technology (CSS 2), fancier browsers like "Firefox" are most up to speed.

Serverside:
    (ASP, PHP, etc), it doesn't matter. All computations are done on the server before beeing presented, which leaves the client side browser insignificant process-wise (contrary to JavaScript, which is interpreted Clientside, and can reek havoc on poorly designed scripts)
    Most designers solve this by having some sort of script (client/serverside, that checks what platform is beeing used before presenting the HTML.

So in essence:
    It doesn't really matter how you code your pages, as long as they are well written within the language of choice.

If you code a page in the most clumsy backwards way imaginable (from a designer/coders point of view), it will still look good on the client side as long as it adhers to common HTML rules.
    S. Rosland

Remove Ads