Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: i have problem

Member #
    Hi, I have a problem thatís been bugging me ever since I started freelancing. I noticed that my design styles are similar between projects..too similar. I use Arial or Arial-related fonts, the design is made of solid colors representing maybe the background of a logo or the menu, or the vertical sidebar of a website. No matter how much I try to change, it still looks the same! For one design, I went out of the shell, somewhat. I placed the links (ordinary rectangular shaped .gifs with Arial as the font) on TOP of the entire interface, with the logo of the website placed below the top menu, and the header image placed immediately to the right. Then for the side bar I created a faded dot pattern that my client really liked. I had gotten my inspiration from viewing an Italian graffiti website.

But now, my designs are still stagnant.
    My question (finally, sorry for the long paragraph) is, is there a certain way or formula that designers do that helps them to create a very cool design for project A, then another cool yet totally different style of design for project B? Where do you get so many ideas or inspirations to create designs that are far different from each other? I went to SitePoint and it showed different themes: Corporate, Grunge, Artsy, and so on. While this might be a good start, the examples that I saw at Sitepoint where very generic. One thing that I tried to do was create designs similar to each sample that I saw, but no matter what changes I made, it either looked ugly or just looked like the original sample with "something" small or unique added just to make the design look cooler. I hate that!

Member #
    I've answered this question in the starting out thread because it seems that you posted it in the wrong place.
    Blue Wolf Web Design - Will always get better!

Member #
    As an artist and a graphic artist/ web developer I highly recommend looking outside of your project. This may sound a little corny but I take walks around a lake near my house when I am not happy with what my mind is doing at the computer. I also highly recommend sleeping on any new project for at least one night. Allow your subconscious time to review the goals of the project. My boy friend sometimes thinks I am lazy when I say I have a really big project I need a proof for soon and I then go on a long walk, but it really does help to clear your mind of the box that you have put it in. Also go to any place that has art, any kind of art. Look at what the world has to offer, you can find the inspiration you need in almost anything. Hope this helps, but to be honest I think every artist suffers from the affliction of creation.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Agreed. I've had lots of ideas come to me when I'm doing nothing related to my project.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired
    Agreed. I've had lots of ideas come to me when I'm doing nothing related to my project.
    So, the moral of the lesson is, never do any work.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Remove Ads