Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hurricane Katrina's devastating blow to U.S. Gulf Coast energy operations sent petroleum prices soaring yesterday, with analysts saying crude prices could hit $80 (U.S.) a barrel and pump prices in the United States headed well above $3 a gallon.

Motorists across North America can expect gasoline pump prices will quickly reflect the hurricane's impact, while users of natural gas and home heating oil will also be hit with rising costs.

On the New York Mercantile Exchange yesterday, frenzied traders drove crude oil prices to a record $70.85 during the day. It ended the day at a record close of $69.81. The price of unleaded gas for September delivery soared 20 per cent to $2.47 a gallon, after rising more than 10 per cent on Monday.

Economist Nariman Behravesh said a prolonged spike in energy costs would have a dramatic impact on consumer confidence and spending, and significantly reduce economic growth in the latter part of the year.
    http://WICKEDINNOVATIONS .com
    Website | Graphic | Programming | SEO | Data Entry

Member #
    I wonder how it's going to affect the car manufacturers.. unless they come up with a very neat car that conserves gas... I have been thinking and want to share this to you...one inventor from our country has developed a gadget that will help reduce the amount of gas consumed by an automobile, i think the gov't did not pay more attention into this kind of stuff when in fact i heard it was a nobel prize winner to new inventions a few years ago. maybe ther's been a conspiracy with the gov't and oil companies here since it would mean less sales for them..

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Spare a thought for us Brits. Petrol (gas y'all) is over 4 ($7.20) per gallon over here.

I think the conspiracy theory you postulate could easily become a political debate - something which is strictly forbidden on this forum.

Member #
    And don't forget that a US gallon is different to an imperial gallon!

In the UK at the moment, it's around 4.20 to 4.50 per gallon - astronomical!
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mossoi
    Spare a thought for us Brits. Petrol (gas y'all) is over 4 ($7.20) per gallon over here.

I think the conspiracy theory you postulate could easily become a political debate - something which is strictly forbidden on this forum.
    I'm sorry if i have mislead you.. I was postulating about the inventor from our country (south-east asia) and the gov't.
    unfortunately, i hate to admit it but our country is ran by corrupt officials.. which is a big burden to the people.. thanks for informing me that it Is FORBIDDEN in this forum... I guess you people are all from Europe...

Member #
    you mean hybrids that store energy from braking and turning? Think they're getting pretty mainstream in europe and north america as well.

Member #
    Many have speculated about a scenario were some genious discovers a new (inexpensive) alternative to fossile fuel.

However, nothing indicates that anything like that is likely to happen within our lifetime. (must be some type of fusion reactor small and stable enough to fit in a car. Theoretical fusion reactors so far, requires so much energy to get started and contain the energy cascade, that they are net consumers instead of beeing a resource.

However, there are a lot of fuel efficient engine technologies available and in production worldwide. A lot of these technologies work in unison with other types of technologies, as mentioned in Jack000's post.
    The problem in the US, is that car manufacturers don't utilize new fuel saving technology to build less fuel hungry cars, but rather use the technology to build more powerful cars with the same fuel consumption as you're used to from your old car.

Regarding prices, in Norway (one of the worlds biggest oil producing countries), the price of gas is likely to jump to 15 kroner/litre, which equals to $ 9.68 pr US gallon!
    (We've already passed $ 8.40 pr US gallon!)
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rosland
    The problem in the US, is that car manufacturers don't utilize new fuel saving technology to build less fuel hungry cars, but rather use the technology to build more powerful cars with the same fuel consumption as you're used to from your old car.
    Gotta disagree. Old car was a 1994 Toyota Corolla. New one is a 2005 Toyota Corolla. I get better mileage / gallon with the new one. Same size engine, same size car.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Oil prices fell back yesterday, dropping below the levels seen before Hurricane Katrina wreaked havoc across the energy production industry in the Gulf of Mexico.

Traders in London reacted to Friday evening's decision by Western powers to release stockpiles of oil for the first time in 14 years to drive down crude costs.

The price of a barrel of oil dropped by more than a dollar, or 2.3 per cent, to $64.52 in London. The New York market, which was closed yesterday, is expected to follow suit. The International Energy Agency (IEA) decided on Friday its 26 member countries would release 2 million barrels per day (bpd) of oil for 30 days to compensate for the loss of US crude and refining output. It is the first time since the 1991 Gulf crisis that the IEA has tapped government oil stocks. But the fall came too late to prevent another rise in UK petrol prices, which jumped more than 2p a litre on Friday to hit 94.58p.

Member #
    the problem is not with cars, but energy production. A car can run on pure electricity, but power plants still use fossil fuels to generate that electricity. Electric, fuel cells, and other cleaner delivery systems are not that far ahead, but the source of the problem still won't be solved.

The world's oil supply will probably run out in our life time, and guess who has to deal with the problem? :]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads