Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    This may seem an obvious question, but how important do you think a telephone number is for a hosting/design site?

Most of my communication has up until now been via email or from forms on my websites. Not by telephone.

I've seen on various forums that some are all in favour of them, other saying that it is an unnecessary expense since most correspondance is via email anyway.

At great expense I've set up a 0845 (uk low call) telephone number that is manned 24/7. However I'm wondering if the expense of this is going to be greater than any gain I may get from it.

I was wondering what people views were on telephone numbers? Do they give you more confidence in the company, would you actually use them, or resort to email and contact forms anyway?
    Paul Creedy
    Visit my community site at: www.rhonddacynontaff.com
    My hosting: www.rcthosting.com
    My Content Management product: www.dynamiccontenteditor.com

Member #
    In my opinion, having the telephone number is useful, but most enquiries are dealt with via email.

However, some customers would feel safer, if they could pick up the phone and speak to someone in person..

(I just checked my host and they have their telephone number listed).

I do not think you will get a lot of contact via phone but maybe its worthwhile.

Member #
    typo

It's difficult to assess, because even though I won't get much contact via the line, viewers see the telephone number, have more confidence and then email me!

Somehow I have to try and access whether the expense of having someone man the line is worth the investment, but it's difficult to do.

I'm keen to know what everyone opinion is as a way of me assessing it.
    Paul Creedy

Member #
    I think a phone number is more important than you think it may be.
    Not all questions can be answered on your website and most people will want a number to call to speak to someone.
    Sure, there is email, but sometimes people want a "quick" answer and that can usually be done on the phone.
    I agree that it is a credibility issue. I don't think you need to have a 24/7 manned phone.
    What is wrong with your home or cell number? That works just as well if you don't have an office.
    Starting out, I just used my cell phone and said "you've reached the voicemail box of......" Used it for personal and professional calls.
    And, yes I did get a lot of calls regarding the website. You have to understand that at some point it helps to talk to the customer and if you leave them a message about something, what are you going to tell them to do? Email you back instead of returning your call?
    Nobody is going to care if they get an answering machine or voicemail, just as long as you return calls in a timely manner.
    Good luck...
    GMan

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Even if you don't get a lot of calls, it gives the impression that you are far more professional than most hosts. I mean, how many hosts out there do you actually see any phone number, free or otherwise?
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    some people like to deal some things over the phone so they are assured that they are dealing with the right people.

Member #
    The problem with using my home or mobile phone is that I like to try and get some distinction between home and work life. Giving a few long term clients my own number is fine, but it's not something I want to post on the web for anyone to ring. It's getting to the point now where to many clients are finding it too handy to ring me at home when I'm in the middle of my evening meal!

I'm trialing the 24/7 number as it seems to be that it's in the evening that these clients phone me at home, not in the day! Now, the call on this new number gets answered by someone else, and then emails me the message for me to pick up later if I'm not available.

Too late to do anything about the existing clients that know my home number, but not for new ones.
    Paul Creedy

Remove Ads