Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Streaming video

Member #
    I have a problem with an isolated PC.

The PC in question, does not want to show streaming video. In all other aspects, it works fine.
    I have a network of 5 PC's at home that works fine, and another 4 PC's in another place that works on a wireless net.

To avoid any confusion regarding router firewall settings, all other machines work flawlessly.
    The Norton Virus program running in the background are equally configured on each machine. They all share a common hardware firewall. (no software firewall is active).

So, to the problem at hand:
    The machine in question, refuses to run any type of streaming video, regardless of source. In the present network, it displays no error messages or anything, it just displays a blank when you click on a streaming videolink (regardless of source for the videostream), and then a "ready" message, where everything halts.

On other machines connectede to the same WLAN source, everything behaves equally, up to the point where you click a video link. The other machines then display a "buffring 50%, 75%,...etc" message followed by a brief "ready" message, where after they continue to play the streamed video.

The problem machine, instantly displays the "ready" message, and then proceeds to do nothing.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It might not be receiving UDP packets...almost every other Internet application uses TCP so you might not be noticing.

An application genre that comes to mind is gaming. Try connecting to an Internet game using some FPS or other real-time fast-paced game. If you can't play on that one system, it's probably blocking UDP packets for some reason.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    You're thinking along the same lines as me.

However, the only place I've seen port/protocol traffic control options, are in routers and firewalls.
    Beeing that all other PC's works fine on the current hardware (firewall and router), I do not comprehend why this particular PC should deny that type of traffic.
    There are no software firewalls installed (including WinXP's built-in firewall) that are blocking anything, and I have no idea how I should go about altering TCP/IP filters on the operating system level.

I'm at a loss.

(BTW, there are no 3D graphic support on this machine, so I have no games installed to test your theses. Installing one, even and old one, would probably dump me in a graphical interface I don't want to see.
    And even if I could, would that get me any closer to a solution? If it fails, and hence confirms that UDP packaging is denied, how would I go about altering access levels?)
    S. Rosland

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Forgive me if this is stating the obvious but have you tried re-installing the application you use to play video? (I'm assuming it's Windows Media Player as this is the one that most frequently exhibits this fault).

It could also be problems with the installed codecs - you could try running one of the packages from this page (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...cdownload.aspx) to see if that helps.

Member #
    It is Windows Media Player.

How do I 'reinstall' it?
    As it's part of the operating system, I don't have any file to reinstall.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    If it happened very recently, try doing a System Restore.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    yeah , sytem restore is cool for me
    http://WICKEDINNOVATIONS .com
    Website | Graphic | Programming | SEO | Data Entry

Member #
    I've had this problam a while. I first encountered it a couple of months ago, but thought the problem resided in the video providers end.
    Now, a couple of months later, I realize that it's my machine and not the server.

In the mean time, I've installed a lot of programs and done other tweeking.
    Doing a restore is not an option for me now.
    Anyway, I wouldn't know if that would help, as didn't work before either.

--------

Update on last nights post.

It is not Windows Media player.
    The page in question, is from "NRK" which is one of the bigger Norwegian broadcasting companies.
    The have a lot of their previously sent programs on archive, and you can view these through their video interface.

You wouldn't understand what the page instructions are, as everything is written in Norwegian, but you can click the link anyway to get an impression of what I'm talking about.

The URL: www.nrk.no

In the left navigation bar, under header "TV", click the link "Nett TV" (that has a small camera symbol after the text).
    This will launch the net TV interface, that starts by running a test of your line speed, to determine the resolution you're able to recieve/stream.
    You won't be able to go beyond this, as it requires a username and password to actually show the programs.

On all other machines, it says in the status bar (after selecting a program) "connecting", "buffring 72%..", "ready" and then starts playing the stream.
    On this particular computer, it says "connecting", "ready" within half a second after you click the link, and then nothing happens.

Any ideas?
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Ok, solved it.

It was, after all, Windows Media Player. A custom layout, but utilizing the engine of the installed version.

I followed Mossoi's advice, and uninstalled the current version (which was a bit tricky, had to copy the Uninstall Key from the register and run it from command line, as the program did not appear in the add/remove section).

After removing the ver.10 Beta, I downloaded and installed the latest version, which did the trick.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Glad you had it fixed dude
    http://WICKEDINNOVATIONS .com
    Website | Graphic | Programming | SEO | Data Entry

Remove Ads