Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09...efox_momentum/

Thought the above was interesting news considering I stopped using Firefox recently after being a staunch supporter for years.

Is it true that it's because there are no more 'die hard windows haters' out there or is it because Firefox is now getting the attention of the virus writers, hackers, et al?

For me it's the latter, too many security updates, too quickly, many requiring a complete re-installation of the browser. Couple that with the lack of stability and poor media plug-in handling and it's not looking like the golden boy any more.

Now that Opera is advert free I'm trying that again but it's facing some stiff competion from Internet Explorer 7 which, although only in beta, is knocking the socks of it's competition.

In my opinion Firefox has shown its lack of maturity and has suffered for sticking it's head over the parapet and telling the world how secure it is. Anything is secure until it's targeted by the ne'er do wells.

Member #
    I still think the number of FF users will remain as high it is. However yes the fact that each new version of FF is a separate install is lame.

It is still seen as the real alternative if you ask me, although IE 7 will add a spice to it.

Member #
    I never downloaded the Beta version!

Through a google I saw a lot of sites that now says:

"Because this version of Internet Explorer 7 is intended only for developers and registered beta testers, Microsoft has asked us to stop distributing the setup files. Therefore, Internet Explorer 7 is no longer available for download from this page.".

Meaning that until recently, it was available for download!
    I didn't know that.

I read reviews about it in different magazines, and they all said their review was based on the Beta version only released to developers.
    Hence, I assumed it was only available through a MSDN subscription (which I don't have), and never searched for a download.

I've read about its "sandbox" environment (pretty Fort Knox unless you're an idiot), and it's CSS 2 support.

Have you tested it yourself Mossoi?
    What do you think?
    S. Rosland

Member #
    I used to use FireFox all the time and only ever used IE for testing my site, but I am no a proub mac user (;-)) so I am using Safari. FireFox on the mac seems quite slow.

I can see why many may be getting annoyed with the updates constantly coming out and I was especially annoyed to find after one update I lost a year or so worth of extensions and tweaks that helped when designing and building sites. I still don't use IE, only for testing. I'm afraid to say the testing with IE doesn't go too well 9 times out of 10 either which results in me being depressed, mad, annoyed and hating it with a wee passion. This won't change for a long time
    I heard IE7 is a big improvement in terms of rendering CSS? Might have even been mossoi who told me this. I have read elsewhere that it's a big step in the right direction fom Microsoft. Hopefully we will see a mass of people start using it and our lives will be made that little bit simpler.

Member #
    IE7 will improve on CSS2 standards, but they have said publicly that they don't plan to have it pass the Acid2 test.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    My biggest fear about IE7 is that it will pick up on only some of the IE hacks I put into WDF v5 and still read several of the Firefox hacks, making for one hell of an interesting page layout.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Looking forward to the result :alien:
    S. Rosland

Member #
    im never going back to IE, why should I trust a company that wont act for ages on known problems when there is a browser like ff?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dan1088352
    im never going back to IE, why should I trust a company that wont act for ages on known problems when there is a browser like ff?
    This is not correct!

They do (their best) to act on security threats. However, all security glitches takes time to patch up.
    One of my best friends, is a programming guru that have been a Linux fan for ages, as he has had principal objections towards market dominance and complacency.

However, his arguments were always conviniently adressing the many security wholes in MS software. I argued once with him, that this is probably because MS software is the most widespread, and hence the most natural target for crackers (it's in their nature to seek publisity for their cracks. A hack on some obscure software, wouldn't echo any recognition in the cracker community).
    He had to agree, and I challenged him to find loop holes in exsisting software for the Linux community.
    He found multitudes of them.

There are always ways to override core communication procedures, depending on how software applications rely on core components of the OS or COM procedures.
    The software dependencies, will always reveal gates of potential attack.

The most secure way of handling online threats, is to disconnect your computer from all network activities, encase it in a concrete shell, and drop it somewhere in the mid Atlantic, preferrably apart from the the Titanic site, as this has generated a lot of traffic lately.

If you can't do that, then the "sandbox" approach of Microsoft, is the second best.
    I'm sure that nothing in the imminent future, will be close to IE 7 (with regard to security), unless it gains 30-40% of the market share, is given a decade of mainstream use, and is hailed as the new threat to the opensource community.

Then it will be high profile to crack even an obscure corner of its intended use, and its vulnerability will be exposed and patched.
    Eventually, you will have a contender.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I don't care so much about Microsoft's inclusion of proprietary technology like ActiveX as I do that they should get the established standards working right the first time. That way, I wouldn't have to write code like this (CSS from WDF v5):
    Code:
    span.readstate-legend-element
    {
    	background-color: white;
    	border: 1px solid gray;

padding: 0px 3px 0px 2px;
    	margin-right: 10px;
    }

span.readstate-legend-element[class~="readstate-legend-element"] /* sigh */
    {	
    	padding: 5px 3px 1px 2px !important;

position: relative;
    	left: -1px;
    }
    The first declaration is read by IE and all other browsers. The second is only read by compliant browsers and overrides the rendering errors introduced by the first (note the !important on the padding attribute).
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads