Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I'm just reminded though of a post I saw recently elsewhere that it's all so clear that the iMac's home media features will be the death of TiVo...they're not even in the same classification. It's like saying the PSP is better than the iPod because the former can both play music and great games. Well duh, but does the PSP have a 30 GB HDD or an extra-cost 1 GB memory stick? Not even the same class.

I like a lot of the stuff Apple does but not the people who just blindly embrace it without knowing what they're talking about (obviously not talking about this thread).
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I think Apple will be the death (or merging) of TiVo, but for a completely different reason. Not because they will out-feature or out-perform the TiVo but simply because they will offer a better, easier way to get your media. I saw this happening about a year ago with Streamium products. Simply the idea of merging the computer / TV into one. And right now, Apple is just too damn good at designing products & software. They're producing excellence right now.

Kind of like how CDs / iPods have put a lot of radio stations out of business.

Personally, I think HP/MS/etc have done a ****ty job trying to make media PCs. They've built them on crappy hardware, built crappy software, and marketed them terribly. They were doomed. Here Apple is going to step in and offer a simple (this is what people want) solution that's elegant and powerful.

So, what does everyone else think the next step is? For me, obviously the big players (NBC, Fox...) will join in on this TV download dealie if it takes off. After that I think we might see higher quality being offered (TV quality). After that, I'd love to see Apple show up with a TiVo partnership and offer a FrontRow-like interface to TiVo, and a seamless integration between your TiVo and your Mac and iTunes.

P.P.S. New silouhette ad: Wow. I love seeing Apple take new directions. I wasn't terribly fond of this whole hands-on latest ad campaign, but the new dirty / messy / silouhette sure got my attention.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I wouldn't mind Apple buying TiVo. And I own two of their DVRs with subscriptions for both, and I don't like what they've been doing with my combined $20/month.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads