Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    [p]My consumer tip of the moment: watch your credit card carefully. I got a call this morning on my cell phone from 727-541-0001. I didn't pick it up, merely because it was 11:30 AM, which of course means I still had half an hour until noon to sleep. Sometimes I get numbers I don't recognize calling me, mainly local ones that are wrong numbers, occasionally companies like Circuit City in regards to previous calls I've made and Microsoft for awesome but undisclosed reasons.[/p]
    [p]As I usually do, I Googled numbers I don't recognize, usually calling from my local area code. This one only turned up a few hits, but man: http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/08/26/153054.php . When they called back a few hours later, I figured, what the hell, let's see, and answered. They said hello, I'm from Visa (an impossibility because my credit card issuer would call, not Visa itself, and only my landline is associated with the card, not my cell phone). He asked me to confirm my full name and the last four digits of my credit card number which were...correct. I refused to confirm nor deny, just saying the answer depends on what you're calling about. He refused to answer. I told him to shut up (well, "be quiet") and he became abusive (so was I ). I told him this is a personal line, a cell phone, and if he calls again, the FCC will hear about it.[/p]
    [p]No more calls yet, but I'm expecting them. Verizon says they can't block numbers (only text messages) and it depends on the phone if you can block a specific number (mine can't). But, after further research, people were reporting right after they received the calls unauthorized charges on their credit cards. Not wanting to take the chance, I immediately reported the card as stolen. I didn't see any unauthorized charges, but I had a brush with identity theft before which, ironically, would have happened if I wasn't so desperately poor. [/p]
    [p]They apparently call people only on cell phones, and the theory is that it's international because Florida (727 area code) cannot stop the calls. The other theory is that they're dumpster divers getting your name and last four digits of the credit card from receipts and other stuff you've thrown out—obviously practically every receipt has this.[/p]
    [p]So here's what I suggest doing if you get a call from this number:[/p]
    • Don't answer at all, even out of curiousity, because you know these details.
    • Report your card as stolen, regardless of whether the activity on it seems normal
    • Call your cell phone provider and ask them to block the number or the whole area code; if they can't, see if your phone can do it.
    • Shred your receipts, even if all it has is the last four digits.
    [p]Ironically, it might turn out for good. If I get more calls, Verizon can't block them, and my phone can't block them, then that means I can get a new phone. I've been wanting a camera phone for a while, not for sending pictures, but just to have a crappy digital camera with me at all times. Problem is my two-year contract ends in the summer so I might be stuck with the full or one-year-contract price, unless I can **** off enough employees of the Verizon Wireless store.[/p]
    [p]Damn scammers. But on the plus side, my WDF sweatshirt shipped. [/p]
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Thanks for the heads up... and oh!.. I would love to have the WDF sweatshirt too.. woot...
    http://WICKEDINNOVATIONS .com
    Website | Graphic | Programming | SEO | Data Entry

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Nothing's stopping you there except ~$20: http://www.webdesignforums.net/wdf_store.php

Member #
    Not much to add to filburt1's. Very similar experience, except that they do call landlines. I received similar calls and decided to pick up this morning. Somebody who knew my name and last four digits of my credit card claimed to be calling from 'The Rewards Program' . My question: 'What company ?' Answer: 'We represent all companies.' Well, you need to be smarter than that. It became somewhat abusive on my part :laugh: upon which the person calling me hung up. I then called my credit card company and had my card blocked. It is not clear to me how they got the information. Yes, the last four digits of your credit card can be found on regular receipts. But how did they know my name and phone number ?

Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    [p]My consumer tip of the moment: watch your credit card carefully. I got a call this morning on my cell phone from 727-541-0001. I didn't pick it up, merely because it was 11:30 AM, which of course means I still had half an hour until noon to sleep. Sometimes I get numbers I don't recognize calling me, mainly local ones that are wrong numbers, occasionally companies like Circuit City in regards to previous calls I've made and Microsoft for awesome but undisclosed reasons.[/p]
    [p]As I usually do, I Googled numbers I don't recognize, usually calling from my local area code. This one only turned up a few hits, but man: http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/08/26/153054.php . When they called back a few hours later, I figured, what the hell, let's see, and answered. They said hello, I'm from Visa (an impossibility because my credit card issuer would call, not Visa itself, and only my landline is associated with the card, not my cell phone). He asked me to confirm my full name and the last four digits of my credit card number which were...correct. I refused to confirm nor deny, just saying the answer depends on what you're calling about. He refused to answer. I told him to shut up (well, "be quiet") and he became abusive (so was I ). I told him this is a personal line, a cell phone, and if he calls again, the FCC will hear about it.[/p]
    [p]No more calls yet, but I'm expecting them. Verizon says they can't block numbers (only text messages) and it depends on the phone if you can block a specific number (mine can't). But, after further research, people were reporting right after they received the calls unauthorized charges on their credit cards. Not wanting to take the chance, I immediately reported the card as stolen. I didn't see any unauthorized charges, but I had a brush with identity theft before which, ironically, would have happened if I wasn't so desperately poor. [/p]
    [p]They apparently call people only on cell phones, and the theory is that it's international because Florida (727 area code) cannot stop the calls. The other theory is that they're dumpster divers getting your name and last four digits of the credit card from receipts and other stuff you've thrown out—obviously practically every receipt has this.[/p]
    [p]So here's what I suggest doing if you get a call from this number:[/p]
    • Don't answer at all, even out of curiousity, because you know these details.
    • Report your card as stolen, regardless of whether the activity on it seems normal
    • Call your cell phone provider and ask them to block the number or the whole area code; if they can't, see if your phone can do it.
    • Shred your receipts, even if all it has is the last four digits.
    [p]Ironically, it might turn out for good. If I get more calls, Verizon can't block them, and my phone can't block them, then that means I can get a new phone. I've been wanting a camera phone for a while, not for sending pictures, but just to have a crappy digital camera with me at all times. Problem is my two-year contract ends in the summer so I might be stuck with the full or one-year-contract price, unless I can **** off enough employees of the Verizon Wireless store.[/p]
    [p]Damn scammers. But on the plus side, my WDF sweatshirt shipped. [/p]

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I have been called a few times from people claming that the government wants to give me 8000-25000 dollars because I have filed my taxes on time. Usually the person who calls has a very heavy middle eastern accent and his name is something like John.. ooookkk??

Anyway, they say the government has approved a grant in my name and all I need to do is verify my financial information wich they do have some of. They do this so they can subtract roughtly 250 dollars from your account for processing fees before they can deposit the money. If asked why the government decided to give you money they will start to circle around the issue. If asked why they cant simply mail you a check and subtract the processing fee from the amount they will give you the run arounds. If asked to speak with their manager they will refuse, for a while. But if you persist (and I do) another gentle man, again with a heavy accent named sam will answer and assure you that this is special government grant that you never have to pay back, it is a reward for being a good tax payer. He will persist with the "Dont you want free money?" routine..

Anyway, long story short this is a scam. The US government will NEVER just give you money. There are not programs designed to 'give away' money via the draw of a hat just because you file your taxes on time every year.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Well there are tax refunds (remember the checks from the 2000 - 2001 timeframe about?). Obviously what you outlined is BS and a scam, though.

Only five months until I can replace my phone with one that can block numbers (and have a camera, ideally) at the two-year contract price.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Hope you don't have Cingular, they suck ***, and I've seen how they work internally! eeewwwwww......
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I dont think you can get a phone without a camera anymore.. I recently went shopping for a new phone and they all had cameras.. that is a waste of money for me because I dont use it.

Member #
    Wow so much to comment on!

First of all, I'll agree with Wired... Cingular is awful. I have many stories. My favorite thing about them is how they always have the answer, but they don't actually address the question. Filburt, however has Verizon, so all should be fine. In fact, in doing research to get rid of Cingular, I learned that Verizon gives customers a free phone every two years to renew their contract, not sure if you WANT to do this, but hey.

727 is actually the area code adjacent to the one where I grew up. Sort of. When I still lived in Tampa, St. Pete & Clearwater were still 813, but now, they are 727.

Filburt: enjoyed the article. Any one notice the author's (last) name? I thought that was ironic, all things considered.

And, to culminate this post, I recently/currently am getting emails from Chase about a third party who has accessed my account. For this reason, all activity has been stopped. If I want to re-activate the account, check the activity on the account, or request a new card, all I have to do is follow this link and log in to my OnlineBanking. If I have not yet set up an OnlineBanking Account, I can enter my account number and social security number into the non-secure website that this email links to.

So, I try to contact Chase to let them know they have hackers (the email is sent from @chase.com) trying to scam their customers, and lo and behold... I have to log in order to write an email.

Incidently, I cannot log in. That's because I do not have a banking account with Chase, only a credit card.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    1. It's not a hacker. It's easy to fake the sender (albeit there will be code within the email stating the true sender, sort of).

2. You can log into Chase.com when you only have a CC from them. I should know, I have a Chase CC, no bank account with them, and I log into their site regularly.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads