Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Printer toner

Member #
    I don't know if the following only aplies to Norway, or if this is a "global problem".

We all know that printer manufacturers such as HP, Epson, etc, make their money through selling overpriced refill ink.
    The printers themselves, are priced so low that their bound to loose money on them. The production cost itself must be higher than the prices they sell them for.
    The ink cartridges however, are excruciatingly expensive. The dollar per pound ratio, must exceed even the most costly perfume.
    As most of my (and most others) print jobs are B/W, it's idiotic to use full colors every time you print. And that's what you do! Unless you specifically instruct the printer to use only the black cartridge, it will use all of them, and you're quickly forced to go out and buy a new color cartridge replacement to an unspeakable price.

That's why I bought my first Laserprinter about two years ago (B/W). The price was ridiculously low, only $150. It has served me well over the last two years, making flawless B/W prints regardless of what I've served it.
    Yesterday the toner cartridge was finally empty. I went to buy a new one, and believe it or not, they charged $140 for it!

I'm in the market for buying a color laserprinter, as they have dropped tremendously in price over the last year. I can now get a cheap high quality HP printer for less than $400!
    The printer is armed with four toner cartridges costing no less than $148 a piece!

Obviously, you have 4 full toner cartridges included when you purchase a new printer. However, when these are empty, you will save $192 if you buy a brand new printer, compared to replacing the toner cartridges!

That is absolutely ridiculous!!!

Is this a 'Norway-only' problem, or are these prices equivalent to your native country?
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Ah, forgot the follow up question:

Is it possible to buy non-original cartridges to a lower price (ála ink refill) to laserprinters?

I didn't find any such options when doing a quick web search.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I have a Lexmark printer I bought for the exact same reason (you're a sucker to pay ink prices over time; laser is higher quality and more cost-efficient over time). They offer to ship you a new toner package if you promise (apparently, that's it) to send back the empty one in the same box. It's for environmental reasons, and you supposedly save money by doing it.

Toner is expensive compared to ink, but you print thousands of pages before you run out. Laser > inkjet.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Yeah it is a global problem Rosland. Its the same here in South Africa. But what HP and the likes do is, the ink cartridges that you get with your new printer have less ink in them than the refills you buy.

You can buy generic ink cartridges for your printer at half the price, but I've found on numerous occasions that these cartridges stuff up your printer as well as do not print as well as originals... So I'd never recommend it.

To answer your question, you can also buy generic toner cartridges for laser printers as well. I actually had a company cold call me and try to sell me their "superior German toner cartridge" for our Samsung laserjet.

Remove Ads