Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    So apple announced their new Intel powered iMacs along with the new MacBook Pro.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

Looks the nuts. I think I will wait for a few revisions to hit the stores and read some reports from people who jumped on the band wagon early on to hear if the switch went smoothly. Hopefully this will give me some time to save a little harder as well.

What do you guys make of these new Intel Macs? Anyone planning on getting one sometime soon?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Nice effort on Apple's part but horrible results. The processor is nice (1.67 GHz, but dual-core and recent Intel processors are more efficient at lower clock speeds), but the FSB is slow, 512 MB is not enough, especially for OS X, and the screen is a los 1440 x 900 (my 12" tablet's screen is a usable 1400 x 1050). It's a 5400 RPM drive instead of a speedy 7200 RPM. If it was $1000, it would be acceptable, but as usual, Apple computer hardware costs double what it should (the Mac Mini being the slight exception).

I like Mac OS X, but not the hardware. Too expensive for what you get. The only Mac I have is a G4 Cube; it cost me $300 on eBay plus around $100 for other upgrades like a Mac Radeon 9200 (it's near-impossible to find a decent video card that can fit inside a G4 Cube).
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    1. Mac laptop design is decades beyond PC design. You cannot discount the overall case to be "worthless" There's at least $500 worth of case in there, IMO. The new magnetic power connector is BRILLIANT.

2. Your ram/hd issue is null. They're both available in upgrades. All manufacturers offer the low end to start off with.

Honestly, I don't think they're too expensive at all. You literally can't buy anything like it on the market. I guarentee a powerbook will outlast any PC laptop any day.

Comparing specs is no good. That's like comparing nutiritional value in burgers.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    1. Each to his own. I like the appearance of Macs but I can't justify the cost.
    2. Adding a hard drive might be a total bitch to do depending on how it's implemented. On my tablet, it's designed to be user-replacable. Who knows about the new Mac (stupid-*** name, MacBook, BTW). By "who knows", I mean I haven't taken the 10 seconds to look and find out.

I'm only in Macs for OS X, nothing else. The second they crack OS X for normal desktop PCs, I'll be dual-booting; given how illegal it will be, I'll appease myself by buying OS X anyway. Still illegal. Oh well.

I take personal offense to your comments, Brak, and find them to be inaccurate because you are not as good a human being as me. I would like to go out back and fight you.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    I take personal offense to your comments, Brak, and find them to be inaccurate because you are not as good a human being as me. I would like to go out back and fight you.
    Wow. I read that 5 times before I realized it was sarcasm (I think, or maybe filburt is just really pissed). A tip: Never be sarcastic online. If you are it will come back to bite you in the a$$.
    -GeZe

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Brak, magnetic power connector? Linkage?

I want to know what they're going to do to the Mac Mini. I know about the possiblity of it using Intel's new Viiv platform, but I'm jonesing for a Mac Mini, although I want the slipstreamed upgraded ones (faster HDD and bigger video cards by default).
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    They keep mentioning a DVR, but knowing Apple, it will be simple (and do the simple part well) but not much else. I found it so incredibly stupid when Jobs was demoing the difference between an MCE remote and front-row remote. Well duh, Front Row does 10% of the stuff that a full-blown DVR like MCE does.

(Yes I was messing around, GeZe )

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired
    Brak, magnetic power connector? Linkage?

I want to know what they're going to do to the Mac Mini. I know about the possiblity of it using Intel's new Viiv platform, but I'm jonesing for a Mac Mini, although I want the slipstreamed upgraded ones (faster HDD and bigger video cards by default).
    http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/design.html

Basically, if you trip over your cord it flies off without hurting the motherboard. No more $2500 laptops down the drain because of a 10c piece breaking off the motherboard (like mine sitting in the closet)
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I wonder how it can maintain a solid connection like that, but I also wonder how my G4 Cube's power button has no moving parts and senses my touch (or when I lean over it and my t-shirt touches it). It sure is innovative, though.

Remove Ads