Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I need to purchase a descent video card for my secondary computer (I'm at work right now so I don't know the model # but it's a Dell). I want to put a second computer in my living room and have it display on my television. So I need a video card with an S-video output, but I am out of the loop when it comes to what to look for. I am up for used parts, i.e. eBay, etc so if you can provide a list of what to look for in terms of: memory, acceleration, controller type, etc. I would greatly appreciate it!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I have always had great results with ati's 'all in wonder' series of video cards for tv connectivity.

Member #
    all in wonders are great video cards ... but are way over priced..

I was considering buying a video card with s-video output and alteast the ones i looked at were expensive.. not saying you couldnt find a cheaper card somewhere..you probably could..

these days its almost more practical and cheaper just to buy a dvd ripper and a dvd player for your tv..this is what i ended up doing and now i can rip any movie i want backup data ect..I get way more useage out of a dvd ripper and dvd player that i do with just a s-video graphics card..im not a gammer though..

I spent 20$ on a dvd ripper, $15dollars on a dvd player and $20 for a 100pk of dvds.. but i shopped around..

Member #
    Already have all of that, now I also want a computer connected to the home theater, that is why I'm going to get a video card.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    BTW, as per your thread title, Descent was the best video game ever conceived, proceeded by Half-Life 2.

Any cheap AGP or PCI Express, depending on compatibility with your system, will do for outputting video. However, if it's your primary goal, I personally would spring for one that can output HD video through component video connections. Some of the newer high-end offerings by ATI and nVidia allow that. Mine is just S-Video, but I only have a 20" SDTV and my home theater setup doesn't allow video to be routed to the TV for the computer. If it did, it would get in a feedback loop given VIDEO1 is also displayed on my computer screen so I don't have to swivel my chair the necessary 30 to see the TV.

So, in summary, go cheap if you only want SDTV s-video, go higher if you want HDTV component. And of course, go way higher if you want to do any gaming. My Geforce 6800 struggles with Half-Life 2 sometimes.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Yeah, I own the original Descent got it around '92 I think. Thanks for the advice...

Remove Ads