Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    for HTML web designers, online motion graphic designers, computer artists, Flash designers and so on? I live in San Francisco, (and I WILL miss it when I leave) and I noticed that dot-coms are back in town, which means more jobs for web designers. I imagine that is the same way in cities like LA and New York, but what about Houston or Austin TX? Or Seattle? Houston is where I am going to live for a while, (for educational reasons and parental independence!) but what remains to be seen is if I can support myself by working for a variety of graphic design and online media companies. Has anyone worked in Houston?

Finally, since the high-tech entertainment industry is primarily in Northern and Southern California I have this goal to build up my skills and education in Houston, then come back to California OR travel to Atlanta, New York, or another media mecca metropolis for my career in online media production. Does anyone have advice?

Member #
    I just recently moved. My advice before a big move: Search for jobs. Go to all the big sites: Monster, Hotjobs, CareerBuilder, Craig's List is good. Also try the local newspapers. You don't have to actually apply, just see how many relevant hits you get. For most of them you don't even need to register to just run the search.

Every city has a need for such skills. Places like San Francisco, LA, NY, etc. have less of a demand per capita, per se, than Houston, or Atlanta, because designers & programmers do not always think to go there. The reasoning is very simple: when you have a lot of people who want the same job, employers have more people to choose from and are thereby less likely to FIND you.

It seems like you are worrying too early about a post-Houston move. Focus on Houston right now, develop your portfolio, look for jobs & freelance opportunities there.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Remove Ads