Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Currently on my reading lists of "to read" / "currently reading":

Exultant by Stephen Baxter - I've read the first and third of this trilogy already
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher - this one looks a bit lame, but the later ones in the series look good, gotta start at the beginning though!
    Quantum Evolution by Johnjoe McFadden - Johnjoe is his first name, messed up I know
    Hyperspace : A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the 10th Dimension by Michio Kaku - AWESOME public speaker, one day I've gotta see him speak in person (same goes for Stephen Hawking now that I think about it). Damnit, either they've got to come to FL, or I've gotta move!

Current Fav Authors:
    Stephen Baxter / Robert J. Sawyer - both write books that will seriously mess with your mind. I cannot begin to describe how outside of the box these guys are. A MUST READ if you want to even theorize at what humanity may do / become in the next 5, 10, 100, 1000, 5000, 500,000 years. Yeah, they go THAT far.
    Terry Pratchett - Discworld is an amazing creation - ORANGUTANS UNITE!
    Douglas Adams - Never read the HG2G series until a year ago, DAMN!

Honorable Mentions:
    Arthur C. Clarke - read 3001 The Final Odyssey a long time ago, great read, only other books I've read by him were ones he co-authored w/ Baxter, Time's Eye and Sunstorm)
    William Gibson - Pattern Recognition / Neuromancer / I think I read Idoru, can't remember
    Neal Stephenson - Diamond Age and Snow Crash

Incomplete list of books:
    http://www.tweaky.org/book.html

NO, I didn't hand code that list, give me some credit!
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Perhaps it would be best to ask me `what would you like to be reading now'. Namely, the next book in the series A Song of Ice and Fire, entitled A Storm of Swords, as well as my last birthday present, entitled Q. Also on my to-read list, whenever it comes out, will be the last Harry Potter book, which I will undoubtedly finish in the space of eight hours, as I have the last several.

As far as technical books go, I'm currently slowly trudging through Practical Common Lisp. Sadly enough, that's about it. Man, I long for the days when I was reading a book a week...

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I just finished reading The Hearitage of Shannara by Terry Brooks (4 books in one).
    This morning I started The Wheel of Time series (I think there's 12 in all )

Just before that I read Ian Irvine's The Three World Cycle and after the previous Shannara series.

Yes ... I'm a sci-fi/fantasy reader
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    < snicker > You started Wheel of Time. See you in a century ;-) Seriously, though, those books are... Frightening. I'm staying away from them, for now. I've only heard good things, but they're *scary* good things.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired
    Douglas Adams - Never read HG2G until a year ago, DAMN!
    Same here, well I read it like right before the movie came out b/c everyone was talking about it. It was freaking awesome!! I love it when the largest prime number is hiding in the corner. Do you remember that? Not a lot of people do

Right now I'm (trying to) read (but I hardly ever get a chance to):
    Star Wars Episode 1 by Terry Brooks
    The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams

...but of course, I've been reading those books for like a year now

My favorite book ever is Weaving the Web by Tim Berners Lee! <3 <3 <3
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    < snicker > You started Wheel of Time. See you in a century ;-) Seriously, though, those books are... Frightening. I'm staying away from them, for now. I've only heard good things, but they're *scary* good things.
    I never read more that a 4 book series before so ... we'll see how that goes! :laugh: My hubby is the one that's into 13 book series and stuff like that! :dead: I thought I'd give it a try :alien:
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberryh
    Same here, well I read it like right before the movie came out b/c everyone was talking about it. It was freaking awesome!! I love it when the largest prime number is hiding in the corner. Do you remember that? Not a lot of people do
    Yes, I daresay most people remember the spaceships hanging in the air much like bricks don't, or the plans in the cellar...
    `Yes, well, the lights had probably gone out.'
    `So had the stairs...'

Actually, it's really too bad Douglas Adams put the first chapter or two where he put them, because there was just no way to top them. The last time I'd been rolling around on the floor laughing like that was when my brother read me part of a Neil Simon play that was unbelievably hilarious (Barefoot in the Park, is, by the way, quite hilarious, though that wasn't the same play).

Right now I'm (trying to) read (but I hardly ever get a chance to):
    Star Wars Episode 1 by Terry Brooks
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams
    It bears mentioning that, although the rest of the books in the HG2G series are also amusing, none of them comes near the hilarity that was HG2G, in my opinion.

I gotta say that's pretty impressive :-P

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    What's the big draw to The Wheel of Time series? I've heard about it, never looked into them though.

Can't say that I remember that, although there's a TON of subtle jokes like that throughtout the book. Clarified my original post, I've already read the HG2G series. Read the whole thing in a week when my aunt was in ICU (3/2005). No worries, she's fine. Friggin' amazing series, cannot wait for "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" to be made into a movie. I think they did a pretty decent job with the HG2G movie after it was all said and done.

Best thing about seeing the movie: Watching the intro when the dolphins jumped out of the ocean in the theater, some hick sitting a couple of rows down went "wut da heell?" Started cracking up like crazy

I think I've checked out Greene's "The Elegant Universe" before, looks somewhat familiar. His writings seem similar to Kaku's. I think I'll look into one of his books and/or DVDs. Blame Amazon for spouting that he has a DVD from Nova. [EDIT: damnit, not on Netflix, but Blockbuster's got it. Gotta pick that up as well as Nightwatch today!]

Along similar tones of that is "Discovering P2P" by Michael Miller. History of P2P, covers some interesting types of P2P (e.g. freedom of speech by encrypting and distributing documents). Just wish he would write a 2nd edition / follow up, now given all of the changes in the past 5 years.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think they did a pretty decent job with the HG2G movie after it was all said and done.
    I was actually disappointed when I saw the movie. It seemed like the timeline was all out of order and they changed some stuff around. It made me mad :angry:
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Gotta pick that up as well as Nightwatch today!
    Mmm... Nightwatch... Excellent movie.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads