Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    .... are the CHAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM-pions, my friends!!!!!

Extra hot in Miami today. The Heat ROCK!!! Dwyane Wade is a demi-god... Jordan 2.0 if you ask me!!

Woohooo!!!! My party-to-work ratio over the last few weeks has been sick.... still got a few more days of boozin' left in me though!

MIAMI HEAT WORLD CHAMPS!!!!

(Sorry for all you Dallas fans... them's the breaks!)

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    ... go 76'ers?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I continue to be baffled by the fact that the World at some point became the United States.... :-P

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    I continue to be baffled by the fact that the World at some point became the United States.... :-P
    In the World of Basketball, yes, the US is the World. No one's stopping any other nation from competing with us. They just don't seem interested in trying... even at the Olympic level!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm... Sorry... I seem to recall the US getting a less-than-super-shiny bronze medal at the last Olympics, no? :-P

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Wasn't there a boycott or something, where a lot of the really good players refused to try out for the olympics?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As I gather it, many of the really good players had better things to do. Which is a disgrace, really, to American basketball, but I digress.

Member #
    We actually had this discussion at lunch today! It seems the most popular sports in the US are: (American) Football, Baseball, and Basketball... (with basketball being the only exception)... are not very popular (if they are even played) outside of the US!

Forgive all those parentheticals.

My opinion is Americans like to dominate whatever it is that they do, that's one reason why football/soccer doesn't have a huge following here.

And in reference to the Olympics, we had the Dream Team, which nobody could touch. Then there was Dream Team Two, which still won the gold, I think, and then we had... uh, wait what did we have after that?
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DCScene
    My opinion is Americans like to dominate whatever it is that they do, that's one reason why football/soccer doesn't have a huge following here.
    I'd say it's the opposite. It's human nature to want to excel at what you do. We don't do well in soccer/futbol BECAUSE we don't have a huge following here, not the other way around. Kids grow up in the US playing football, baseball, and basketball. That is why we excel at those. It's our culture. Culture dictates interest, which in turn influences practice, which ultimately leads to skill.

American football and basketball are for the most part only played in the US because they were created here and never caught on anywhere else. American football and baseball are derived from British games that are only played in Great Britain (although Australian football is very similar to Rugby). Baseball is largely popular in South America, though not quite as big as soccer/futbol. I highly doubt Americans or the NBA would complain if basketball became Universally popular with leagues around the world. It would only mean more revenue for the sport and more competitive play.

PS - For some reason, I suspect someone is going to complain that I'm using "Americans" to refer to citizens of the USA.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, give it another World Cup or two and maybe the US will be kicking butt? They were damn close last time, they were damn close this time... They keep getting a little better every time. Soon, now :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads