Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My new toy

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    The Dell XPS M1210 laptop

It's the base model (1.66 GHz Core Duo, 1 GB RAM) but upgraded with a 7200 RPM hard drive and the maximum capacity battery. Best of all, I upgraded from the lowly integrated graphics to a relatively mighty Geforce 7400 Go. Also I switched to Norton security subscription rather than a crappy McAfee piece of software (going to call to see if they can remove it entirely to save some money).

It should get here some time next week. I'm offsetting the price by selling my current tablet PC: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=008 . That tablet PC has been through a lot (with care). It helped design WDF v5. Behold a screenshot of OneNote made from one of the WDF v5 sneak peeks: Attachment 2932.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    we switched from Norton to McAfee @ work actually, easier to manage over a broad network, lower mem resources, etc.

Did you buy it through employee / student / business pricing, or through home sales? The latter can't remove it, but the former can. Also, the former can generally get a cheaper price even with a longer warranty.

perty lappy, if I had a use for a laptop, I'd think about buying it
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Dell EPP/University. I went against all morals and bought a coupon code on eBay. I suppose the $0.99 was worth it to save $437. I still have some principles left, though: I specifically chose one with free shipping ( ).

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Pfft, I already got a question through eBay about somebody pretending to be in the US and wanting it shipped to an alternate address. I searched via Google for the first sentence of his crappy "English" and found the exact same message on an auction from months earlier, with the same response I had: go away.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Alternate address being outside of the USA I take it?
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Oh no, his "sister" was inside the US, of course.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Awesome, mine is the XPS M140
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm still running a good ol' dual core Athlon X2 in a desktop. I figure I spend enough time glued to my monitor when I'm at home, there's no need to transport that with me when I leave :-P

Not that I haven't wished for a laptop now and then... Like... In class... On certain occasions... :-P

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    I sooooooo wished I had a laptop when doing my bachelors. As soon as I got that first surplus check when I started my masters, I sat outside Best Buy on Black Friday @ 3 AM until they opened @ 6 AM, got a sweet laptop (Compaq Presario X1050US, but w/ 1 GB of memory) for a nice price. It helped A LOT. Kinda pity the teachers though, as there was only 16 people in each class, and we all had laptops. No one looked up a lot, at least not at the boring teachers

Don't use it at all anymore though, no real use for it. Always wanted to mess w/ a tablet PC though, as there are times when scribbling out a diagram is quicker than anything else.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh yeah those Tablet PCs are NIIICE!
    I love my laptop, I could never go back to a desktop. I love it because (1) I can sit on my bed and do my work instead of being crammed behind an uncomfortable desk, (2) I can take it to Barnie's and use their free internet and do work there while drinking a latte, (3) I can bring it to school of course, (4) I can take it to friends' houses... well okay this list is going to get too long anyways, my point is, I could never go back to a desktop. They are too constraining. You are bound to your desk. (At least, for me.)
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads