Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Delphi on Mac

Member #
    Hey everyone.

One of my absolute favorite programs, PSPad, is available only on Windows. Due to my recent (not complete, but almost enjoyable) transition to Mac, and the fact that (thanks to Beta-release and bug-ridden Boot Camp Drivers) running Windows on the Mac is a crashfest, I would really love to be able to run it on the Mac.

I contacted the author of PSPad, Jan Fiala, and asked if it would be possible for him to release it for Mac (or me, if necessary, though that would be a huge undertaking for me, who never ported anything). His reply was, since he built it in Borland Delphi, that was not possible.

Of course, that makes me . But I thought I'd ask you guys:
    Any way I can still us it on OSX?
    Can Delphi be ported for Mac?
    Is there a Wine-like program (or Wine itself??) that would let me run it as/is?

Any ideas much appreciated.

(Why's PSPad so great? It's a text editor that has tons of languages supported for highlighting and auto-completion [SQL HTML XML Java C/C++ BASIC JS RoR and more], built-in FTP, find/replace across multiplle files, code explorer, projects to manage related files, tons of HTML-related tools, spell check, spell czech, Unicode support, file comparison tools, and a whole lot more. It does just about everything, and I love it.)
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Wine is rather dependent on Linux APIs, I believe, so if you run Linux on your Mac (perfectly doable), you can probably use it; however, that probably isn't what you're looking for :-) Delphi on Mac OS looks to be out of luck, though.

Have you looked at TextMate? Many developers I know who run OS X swear by it, it's apparently an incredibly good editor. Might take a little while to learn all its tricks, as usual, but it's worth looking at. It's also apparently rather killer for Ruby, and all (or at least most) of the Rails developers use it.

Member #
    Hmm. Yeah, I have the trial installed, but I'm not sure I want to shell out the money when I might actually never do a a RoR app, and there are other good editors out there (some, like PSPad, completely free).
    So, ok, i'll try it, thanks.

You know, I had a crazy idea, which probably can't work... But I heard Borland can compile Delphi code to .NET's common language or whatever that's called... Then perhaps Mono could compile that for OSX? Yeah I know, crazy and probably won't work. But I sure love PSPad.
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by straight_up
    Hmm. Yeah, I have the trial installed, but I'm not sure I want to shell out the money when I might actually never do a a RoR app, and there are other good editors out there (some, like PSPad, completely free).
    So, ok, i'll try it, thanks.
    Well, I know it's excellent for LaTeX, as well (my brother uses it). Dunno about other languages, since I don't run a Mac, and so have never really used it.

Quote Originally Posted by straight_up
    You know, I had a crazy idea, which probably can't work... But I heard Borland can compile Delphi code to .NET's common language or whatever that's called... Then perhaps Mono could compile that for OSX? Yeah I know, crazy and probably won't work. But I sure love PSPad.
    Hey, always worth a shot :-)

Remove Ads