Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I am curious as to what other people's opinions are on this...
    Personally, I think the movie is ridiculous, and I hope no one goes to see it. I think they are just bringing up painful memories and I really don't see the point. And it seems like they are capitalizing on a tragedy.
    But am I the only one who thinks this? When the movie comes out, will it be an amazing hit? Will there be tons and tons of viewers? Or do most people agree with me?
    Just curious...
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Flight 93: The Flight That Fought Back was very good (Discovery channel), and proceeds went directly to the victims' families. However, I believe these future movies are only made for profit, which I don't care for.

(And remember to avoid political talk...not that you posted any, but for others)
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I saw Flight 93, and liked it, and I plan to see WTC, as well.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Raspberry, Out of curiosity, did you see "Pearl Harbor"? Or at least, were you less offended by it than "WTC"? And why?

PS - In answer to your question, I don't plan to see the movie, but not because the concept offends me. It just looks really cheesy to me, and I only go to good movies (unless I'm with a really hot chick who insists on seeing something bad).

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Not going to see it, not my type of movie in general.

As for Pearl Harbor, the actual event was 50+ years and a generation or two before the movie, so the audience had a different perspective than they would for a similar (e.g. based on true events) that was only 5 years ago.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired
    the actual event was 50+ years [ago]
    But the movie was virtually identical in concept and approach. Does time make it less offensive or "ridiculous"?

Member #
    I seen a movie last night and saw a trailer for it

It does look cheesy, and I personally do not think it will be a success at the theatres.

Althugh it will most likely follow the true events of that day, to respect those affected, I still do not see a reason why this will do well.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by transio
    But the movie was virtually identical in concept and approach. Does time make it less offensive or "ridiculous"?
    Yep. For instance, ask your parents or your grandparents about Kennedy being shot. They'll have a different reaction than say you or me, because of our POVs. To me, it's a moment in history about a good man dying before his time. Ask someone from a generation or 2 back, and they'll have a lot more emotions invested in the moment, the time. They saw first hand the news reports, the speculations, the trials, etc.

Go a generation or two in the future, and they'll see WTC as a historical event in which a lot of people died, and may have some emotions invested in it depending on their background and whatnot, but they won't remember the tv reports like we do, they won't remember where they were when they first heard about it.

As a movie, yeah, I won't see it, don't care to see it. Never liked tragedy movies in general though, no surprises, no real reason to see a movie when you OBVIOUSLY know what the ending's gonna be, in one fashion or another.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    But objectively, is it less inappropriate to profit off a tragedy 50 years after the fact?

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Not at all.

Step 1: Steal Underwear
    Step 2:
    Step 3: Profit!
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads