Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hey,

I am ready to get a new computer and it's been a long time since I've owned an apple. I'm thinking about buying one but I want to get an idea of how far Apple's have come in being able to "talk" with other non-apple PC's. I'm specifically interested in sharing music and audio related stuff between myself and any PC users I will have to deal with online.

Can anyone enlighten me on Apple-to-PC compatibility progress. Is it really an issue anymore?

And, as a side question, are Apple's really immune to crashing and viruses as their commercials imply? That would be great if they were, of course, but I'm not sure how true that is. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    For standard formats, they're 100% compatible. It's a myth that there is any significant incompatibilities between the two in terms of document sharing.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    For standard formats, they're 100% compatible. It's a myth that there is any significant incompatibilities between the two in terms of document sharing.

That's a most welcome confirmation.

One thing I forgot to ask about was web pages. I'm not expecting Apples to be all things, but how about web pages created on apples?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Dreamweaver, if you want.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Or the increasingly popular TextMate, which I literally hear nothing but rave reviews of.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    sounds good to me. i'll look into it.

Member #
    I love my Mac! I have had my G4 PowerBook for about a year. My 19-year old sister has been saving up all summer long to buy a Mac, because she's seen all the trouble our mom and other people have had with their computers, especially notebooks.

Macs are fast, I haven't had any virus issues, all of the major design software programs are available in a Mac version... Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver, etc...

Bonus... Macs have Adobe Distiller (for making PDFs) built in (what a concept!).

Compatibility... I have found it a lot easier to build on Mac, because it looks right the first time on a PC. A lot of sites designed on a PC don't look right on a Mac, so then you have to go back and fiddle with it like with IE...

And speaking of IE... Microsoft stopped supporting IE, way back at version 5.2, so Mac users DON'T USE INTERNET EXPLORER. Sure, it's only a personal preference, but wouldn't it be great if everybody used web-compliant browsers!

Though I don't have any personal experience with the new "Pro" line (which have Intel processing) I have heard very good things about them.

I could go on, but I won't. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    I got a Mac iBook over a year ago and it's still as fast as it was when I bought it. My brother invested in a PC and he has slowed down considerable. My Mac has only ever crashed about 3 or 4 times (but its my first Mac so...).

I can't connect to any Windows, for some reason? I can connect through a Windows to the internet but I can't view any files. We got wireless broadband so it doesn't matter now. Macs are way easier to setup internet connections with aswell.

I did have a problem with losing all my preferences on shutdown but the Apple Support Discussions helped me out.

Theres a ton of great apps for Mac aswell. I use Camino and Firefox for browseing, Textwrangler for web dev, Pixen and Seashore for images, Adium for IM and Cyberduck for FTP.

Macs even come with Apache/Perl/PHP installed by default so you can use your own computer as a test server.

The might take a while to get used to, with different shortcuts and the like but MACs and PCs are actually quite similar.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I will expound on my only complaint about the Mac so far: the damn home and end buttons don't mean `beginning and end of line', they mean `beginning and end of *file*'. Annoys me every single time I go to do anything on a Mac, especially when I have to use Terminal.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    I will expound on my only complaint about the Mac so far: the damn home and end buttons don't mean `beginning and end of line', they mean `beginning and end of *file*'. Annoys me every single time I go to do anything on a Mac, especially when I have to use Terminal.
    Agreed. I need to go to line positions more often that the top or bottom of the file.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads