Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm sure everybody has heard about Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter's recent death. He was in the process of filming a movie. It's amazing to me how many people are touched. He's not your average-ordinary-everyday celebrity, and I think it's a great loss. So many people have learned so much from his shows.

It just so happened I was on the road yesterday. I stopped for a quick bite as any one driving 450 miles would do. Near me sat a table of 5 teens, I'd say about 13-15. Tom Petty came on the radio and they didn't seem to recognize the song! Any how, they started talking about it. In a weird way, I felt connected to these people, who until that moment were some random strangers at an eatery off the Interstate!

In a way, I think the method of his death, though untimely, is still very appropriate.

I read earlier that Animal Planet will devote a day to Crocodile Hunter marathon. The Garden at the Discovery Channel building is being renamed in his honor.

The debate has now turned to whether or not to show the video.

Best of luck to his family, especially his bright young daughter.

What are your thoughts?
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    A huge loss!

I've been watching his shows on and off, and though they were a little animated, he came forward as extremely knowledgable and dedicated.

Apperantly he was somewhat of a national aussie hero, and the governmental proposal of a state funded burial, sements that impression.

Oviously, he's become somewhat of a wildlife icon, through his ability to convey the breathtaking beauty of nature through his captivating personal style.

I miss him already.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    From what I read today, his family will deny the state funeral as Steve was a "regular bloke." I respect that. He wasn't (or didn't appear to be) a flashy TV/Film star. I also think that the families wishes should be followed, and the video destroyed. I enjoyed his passion and zeal for life. There is also a fund being set up (by the Discovery Channel?) to help with the zoo and other wildlife endeavors, as well as to provide for the childrens educations.

He will be sorely missed, especially in my house.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Terrible he died, but he died doing his job.

His work behind the scenes was just as important as his TV stuff. As is the usual routine, people will be shocked, by Steve's death, into carrying on his legacy.

Shame people are stirred into action only when the most tragic things happen.

Member #
    There have been recent reports of stingray mutilation, and authorities suspect it is in retaliation of his death. Obviously, though this is completely contradictory to what he would have wanted. Stringray are not "deadly" and they also do not attack humans.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Remove Ads