Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    It hit me when my grandmother called me and asked how to move her bookmarks to her new 'foxfire'. She had downloaded and installed the latest copy of firefox. And this isnt an isolated insident.. almost everybody I know who spends any amount of time online has found out about firefox and is using it. Has anybody else noticed that the vast majority of online users have made the switch to firefox or anything other than IE or is it just me?

Member #
    I've noticed as well. I've also been converting people (my parents, grandma and friends) for the longest time and they love it. As a user I like Firefox because of the popup blocker, the tabbing, the integrated search bar, the nice plugins, download manager and bookmarks toolbar. Now I know IE has made an effort to include features like these, but I like the fact that I'm using what I want, not what is fed to me when I install Windows or buy a new computer. I also find that I get browser hijacks, pop-ups and random JavaScript errors in IE that don't happen in Firefox

As a coder I like Firefox for it's compliance with web standards like CSS and I appreciate how much easier it is to design and program for Firefox than it is for IE.

Long live Firefox!
    Brad

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh I LOVE Firefox too! One of my favorite things is the Javascript Console. It gives SUCH better more detailed errors than IE's "Error on line 3, character 2".

But to answer your question, I actually see too many people being STUCK to IE. I can't seem to convice them how awesome Firefox is. It makes me sad
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Firefox is very, very close to overtaking IE in popularity here, according to AWstats.

Unfortunately, the majority elsewhere still use IE, with its worthless rendering engine, insecurity, and useless Javascript messages. And my love of Firefox is rapidly shrinking due to the slow UI thanks to XUL instead of just a frickin' native implementation (stop skinning everything, developers!) and the memory leaks.

What I want is something with a clean, native UI (Firefox is 50% that) but with the Opera engine. If Opera supported Adblock (regexps to block images, plugins, etc.) and had the same keyboard shortcuts by default as any other browser (Alt-D for address bar, Ctrl-Enter for autocomplete, etc.), I would switch to it.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I think the reason why Firefox is doing so well in terms of usage is that it is many developers that use it because of its engine.

I have friends in University up in Scotland and at Uni, IE is still the default browser on their machines, but this is to do with the deal the Uni has with Microsoft.

The tech staff actually advise them by email to install firefox.

All that said, I love Opera.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Man, I use Google Calendar with Opera, and ouch. To say the least. A slower experience I haven't had.

That said, I have switched to Opera for day-to-day usage because Firefox is just too frakkin' slow on Linux. When they can get Firefox running fast, or when Konqueror catches up in rendering quality (please let it be soon...), I'm ditching Opera, too.

Member #
    They have FF installed on every computer at my school. It's quite nice. It's not the default browser though, but I like to set it as such on whichever computer I use.

It's funny because all the people in my "web programming" (HTML) course get annoyed with FF. They say that nothing ever shows right. Well, they can blame the teacher for not teaching right.

Member #
    My GF is stuck to IE... its so annoying. Firefox is great though and considering when i picked it up i knew no one who had it. Now about 70% of people i know use ti as their primary browser.

Member #
    Internet Explorer is horrible and yeah, tons of people have been converting. Whether I can say this from an unbiased point of view seems hard, as most people around me that have converted know a bit about computers.

Personally, I don't use Firefox. I can say that I used to and that it's a damn good browse however. Opera is for me at the moment.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by glyakk
    It hit me when my grandmother called me and asked how to move her bookmarks to her new 'foxfire'. She had downloaded and installed the latest copy of firefox.
    I don't have much to add to this thread, except to say that this made me smile from ear to ear for at least two reasons. Thanks.
    Zenscope Studio
    Quality Website Development and Graphic Design
    Specializing in Independently-Owned Businesses and Non-Profits
    www.zenscope.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads