Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I installed Ubuntu Linux today. I decided to put it on my main computer (stupid choice, it seems). I partitioned the drive and it seemed just fine, was going to dual boot, but now I can't use Windows. It's not able to mount the hard drive for some reason. I'm not sure what to do, but this is going to give me anxiety problems... Heh.. I have all my programs on there that I can't install again easily (given to me by school, church, etc).

Any suggestions are welcome and I thank you in advance. If you need more info, please let me know.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Do you get a boot menu with the option to select menu? If yes, what happens if you select it, and if no, does it just boot straight to Linux?
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I get the option menu. Linux listed first, Windows second. If I select Windows, it tells me that Windows did not boot correctly, then gives that well-known menu with safe mode, last know good config, and all that. I can choose any, but a blue screen will flash very quickly with white text, and the comp will reboot completely. I can boot Linux just fine thought

I might know the problem. The Windows partition is NTFS. The Linux partition is EXT3, or whatever the default is. I'm assuming that could cause me some problems...

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Even safe mode doesn't work? What you need to try to do is boot up to even a crippled Windows environment and turn off the automatic reboot on crash (so stupid that it's enabled by default). That will at least give you the error that occurred.

Windows should see the ext3 partitions and just ignore them as unusable; they won't show up as drives or anything.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Not even safe mode works. The hard drive isn't even listed in BIOS as a boot option.

How would I go about getting a most basic Windows environment going? If it involves the install CD, I might be in for a night without my computer. I have a Windows Home disk, but I don't have the Pro disk (which is what I have on my machine). Unless there's some way I can use the Home disk anyway...

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    could fdisk the mbr with a windows boot disk, it SHOULD fix it if it's a boot record issue. SHOULD, as in, I've never had this issue, so do it at your own risk.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Windows XP doesn't recognize the fdisk command.

I'll only be able to use a Win98 boot disk with fdisk /mbr if the partition is FAT32, which it is not.

Member #
    It's fixed now. The drivers were screwed up. Does Linux install its own drivers for hard drives and such things? Anyhow, I just nuked the whole thing, so there's no trace of Linux left on the system.

Member #
    Some linux installs auto config to C:, but leave some of the Windows system files so it looks as though windows is still there even though it isn't... Not sure if Ubuntu is one of those as I had issuses with it also, But when you install you need to specify your non-windows drive for installation location, most likely hd1

Member #
    I think the problem may have occurred when I resized the Windows partition. That's a no-no. Lesson learned: Install Linux first. Thankfully I got my laptop to dual boot with Xubuntu and Windows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads