Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New site idea

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    ub3r: There are still real hackers out there. Your definition of a hacker only applies to script kiddies for the most part, as well as black hats. There are real hackers out there that haven't gone corporate, yet are not preaking any laws.

Game: Personally, giving a new name to the correct definition of hacker sounds a little odd to me. I'd just go for the white hat label.

skrlin: Your definition is pretty close to the real definition of a hacker IMHO. The sharing of info bit is perhaps what it's evolved into over the years.

For hacker n00bs, check out War Games, Sneakers, and of course, Hackers. All 3 show different aspects of the definition of a hacker.

And as for Hotmail, it's probably full of security holes ala swiss cheese. It IS a M$ product after all
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Wired: I agree with you completely on the "correct" definition of a hacker. Unfortunately, it's John Q. Public who won't. The people you're trying to reach with your site are the ones without the technical knowledge of, say, someone who's a regular on this board.

A lot of times, these same people (myself included on occasion) will take a word that had one original meaning and distort it to suit their own vernacular. A "faggot" used to mean "a bundle of sticks tied together" and now is used in a negative way to describe a homosexual ; "retard" used to be a verb meant to describe delayed or impeded progress, and now is used as a noun in a disparaging way to describe someone differently-abled; and "hacker" originally meant someone who found vulnerabilities in systems and suggested ways to improve them, and now generally means "some kid messing around and destroying computers". This is why I suggest you don't use the word and coin a term of your own; the term of your own won't have a public perception associated with it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    True, that's why I like White Hat. Any John Q. Public should recall that the good guys wear white, bad guys wear black. Really old reference to the westerns of yesteryear, but most people seem to identify with it. The diff between those 2 examples and hacker is that their definition has been completely changed, while hacker has just been slightly twisted by stupidity. Either way, you can call them whatever you'd like, people will still assume the wrong things about it.

How about Cyber Sleuth instead of hacker? eheh
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    e-tective?

If you add "White Hat Hacker", that might work. I don't know on that though.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I like "White Hat Hacker"
    I'm going to keep gathering thoughts and information on this and start putting something together eventually (of course if someone else wants to help out and get the ball rolling "...that would be greeaat, thanks" {Office Space} ).

Thanks all for the input and support on this, and by all means continue the debate / conversation.
    - Brian

Member #
    Now for my 2 cents again:

I totally disagree about hackers' non-existance now-a-days. I consider myself a hacker of sorts as I constantly "pick apart" my own and others web sites, programs, scripts, etc. and I know for a fact there are plenty of other "knowledge seekers" out there
    - Brian

Member #
    See "www.happyhacker.org". It's more focused on becoming a hacker, but it's still got a lot of good info for you to use.

Member #
    I'll bookmark that for future reference, thanks
    - Brian

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    For the record (I know I'm late getting in to this)... a hacker, by definition, is someone who breaks, disables, or bypasses desired protocols of the creation of another, whether it be software engineering, mechanical engineering, or whatever.

There are THREE forms of hackers (in software) unofficially coined and accepted as:
    • Black Hat Hackers - Anti-social people who desire to negatively affect as big a corporation (or alternatively as many people) as possible in order to make a "name" for themselves in their loser hacker world. The best of them write viruses, steal identity information, shut down government networks, and break Microsoft software at will
    • White Hat Hackers - Hackers who've sold out to "The Man", and are paid to break software, networks, and security protocols. They find the weaknesses so developers can eliminate them. Mind you, hackers are not developers. They hack. That's their specialty.
    • Gray Hat Hackers - Not really sure where they stand - too afraid to write destructive code, although they respect those who do, and won't be White Hats because deep down they hate "The Man". They usually wind up working at a video store or becoming Admins and Mods of public forums where they can feign some level of respectability :-P

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    Transio: Aren't they all anti-social? Keep in mind, they get their groove on at DefCon, so they're not entirely boxed in 24-7.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads