Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New site idea

Member #
    I was considering starting a site concerning spreading awareness about true hackers' good naturedness. Any feedback on this possible project?
    - Brian

Member #
    I mioht be interested in this. I have seen a few interesting articles and documentaries on hackers who aren't destructive, and feel that others give them a bad name. I remember one documentary where a guy was trying to develop a distinct difference between "hackers" and "crackers"; one being devious, the other being the saviors of the world. I'm sure no one knows what i'm talking about, but I'm saying it sounds interesting.

Is there enough information though for a site? This almost sounds like a research paper put online. Post a link if you get something up

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Well.. a "hacker" is just someone who writes code... so yeah. I don't think it would get enough traffic or have enough content...
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    There's definitely enough content, as long as you have enough content advisors to make sure someone doesn't post illegal things there. There's a couple of sites like the proposed one out there, but new ones are always welcome.

Brak, a "hacker" is not just someone who writes code. That's just a programmer. A hacker is someone who looks at existing protocols or programs and tries unconventional things with them, reverse engineers them, finds new uses for things or how to make them work for themselves, and many more definitons are out there. If "hackers" can have their own magazine (and website for said magazine), then there's definitely enough for his proposed site.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Well, to me that is the definition of programming But that's my engineer at heart speaking so yeah...

What I meant by not enough content or traffic is that sure.. if you were to launch a massive site with tv ads, full magazine, billboards and the rest it would do fine. But just making a site alone and hoping to get popular through ads and google I think is a bit unreastic.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    He never said he wanted the next hardocp or anything, just the idea of the site is enough to raise interest, yes.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i will be interested if you tell me how to hack hotmail
    JR

Member #
    Well, nothing's up yet as it's a possible project that I was considering starting. I've been reading 2600: Hacker Quarterly for a while now and that's where most of my inspiration for the proj came from. Most people that I know / have talked to about it are in the dark about anything good that hackers do. Most have a misinformed opinion of hackers being programmers that destroy data, breech security for fun, exploit security weaknesses, etc. The definition I'm familiar with is (I'm putting on my geek glasses here): a hacker is one who is in constant pursuit of knowledge and learning (finding weaknesses in security, programs, systems etc), and shares one's finding with others in an effort to spread knowledge and make improvements to that which is being researched for the good of us all. Most of all hackers are free thinkers and are not sheep to mainstream thought. Hackers constantly question that which is hand-fed to everyone.

That, I think, is the basic gist...I want to build on this idea and any/all feedback/ideas are welcome. Thanks for responding.
    - Brian

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    FREE KEVIN! FREE KEVIN! FREE KEVIN! Oh wait...he is out. Never mind.

I like the site idea a lot and I do realize that there is definitely a "white hacking" element, but unfortunately for you and your idea, the burden of proof is going to rely heavily on you and the content of your site. Public perception of the word "hacker" is that of a 24/7 antisocial computer geek whose sole purpose on the planet is to live in his (note: women are never mentioned, so you may also want to look at the role of women in "hacking") parents' basement wreaking havoc online. So you're going to have to make sure to do 4 things. IMHO:
    1. Make sure every argument you make is as logical and reasonably irrefutable as possible (and ignore any knee-jerk reactions that clearly don't have a lot of thought put into them in the process.
    2. Clearly distinguish the people who you're trying to profile from the public perception of the term "hacker". This may be accomplished by the use of idea 3, below:
    3. Come up with a different word or term other than "hacker" or "cracker". Something along the lines of "patcher" or "vulnerability analyzer" might work.
    4. Make sure you don't sell out to The Man and make statements based on money-induced biases, thus destroying the credibility of your site.

If you can do these four things, you're really on the ball, I feel.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    There's no such thing as a true hacker anymore. All of them are just out to deface web sites, run denial of service attacks, and harass innocent people, because they are being treated badly by the rest of the real world. All the real hackers are working for companies to prevent today's hackers from breaking into those systems.

Don't even get me started on those "online sit-ins" that plague the internet these days.

But if you're out to argue with the monthly news report about hackers, by all means do it, those people don't have any idea what they're talking about.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads