Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

A small village near a small city near a small cit
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Is there a program that anybody knows of where I can simply specify a folder like /my music/ and it will convert basically all non .mp3 formats to .mp3? Preferably to another folder that I specify, like /my music mp3s/? And then I'd need to transfer all files that were mp3 to this new folder as well.

Basically convert all my non-mp3 files to mp3 files in my whole music collection, in one big process that I can just leave going for a few hours?

Or something similar

Thanks
    tekp :cheeky: tekponline.com

Member #
    I did that once with an album I bought through iTunes.
    It worked, but was incredibly slow, so I gave up. Any later attempts was done through first burning the songs to CD (through iTunes) and then re-ripping them to mp3 through some other software.

I haven't tried any other software after that attempt (which is about a year and a half ago), so I don't know if there's any better software around.

For anybody who's wondering about the legal aspects of this, there was a major lawsuit in Norway a couple of years ago, concerning a hacker nicknamed "DVD John". He made it possible to bypass protection codes on DVD's to enable you to copy its content to backup disks, and skip the commercial bits.

Obviously the industry went after him, not because he was enabling people to bypass the "you're not allowed to show this..." or the commercials, but because his software also enabled pirats to mass produce illegal copies of the original film.

The court acquitted him, and soon the entire EU adopted and conformed to the verdict.
    That is NOT to say that copying and redistributing material is legal, but you are allowed to make private copies of personally purchased material.
    If m4p files bought through iTunes are incompatible with other musicplayer hardware you own, then you're legally allowed to make a compatible copy of your m4p files, as long as don't distribute them.
    Just as you are not allowed to distribute your m4p files along with your iTunes password.
    S. Rosland

A small village near a small city near a small cit
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I did that once with an album I bought through iTunes.
    It worked, but was incredibly slow, so I gave up. Any later attempts was done through first burning the songs to CD (through iTunes) and then re-ripping them to mp3 through some other software.
    What software was this? Is it free? Link?

Heh, all of that sounds like an episode of Spooks! (Dunno if you have that in... *checks your profile* ... Norway ) Interesting though!
    tekp :cheeky: tekponline.com

Member #
    Hi! I tried SoundTaxi trial and it really saves the day!
    I am trying to convert legally obtained media that is only available on WMP and I want to play it on my iPod. Just for me SoundTaxi software is exceptional! :cheeky:

Remove Ads