Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey,

I live in the UK and I am looking for ideas for trips for this summer (June to August say).

I want to experience Europes rural landscape and some major cities/landmarks.

My first thought was to go north eastern France, through to Belgium.. onto Netherlands, visit a friend in Germany, go to Interlaken in Switzerland, down thrpugh southern France, and then down to Valenica in Spain to visit another friend and then fly home.

However, thats just my first thought.

So, I am looking for ideas such as possible routes to take, attractions to visit. Do any of you know of a website that has pre-made trips/routes aimed at young people/students?

Also, information on cheap travel and rules and regulations on whether I can drive over there with my UK licence?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Member #
    Offhand, I can't say much for resources, or logistics, but I can offer something to think about:

Eastern Europe offers many destinations including Austria (Vienna is gorgeous!), Hungary, and Poland... Also, traveling in those areas is relatively inexpensive. I studied in Prague, which is just an amazing city, and went around to the country side, spent a couple days on a Chateau in Melnik, old castles, etc. Karlov Vary (Carlsbad I think is the English name) is a resort town, tons of great beer destinations in the Czech Republic too.

I could go on, if you want to know more, but otherwise, that'll do for now :-)
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Since I posted this thread, my ideas have moved a step or two on.

I have always heard how amazing eastern europe is, and I was giving some thought to going Poland and Austria, also the Czech republic.

I am starting out in France, I wanted Lille but I got Paris, a hostel called "the three ducks" - it's motto/catchphrase is "dont worry be ducky" - now you see why I chose there!

Thanks for the input.

Member #
    come to glasgow

i'll only suggest places i've been.

francfurt is good, only on the weekend tho when the bankers aren't there

brussells is excellent, really chilled out

never really liked france too much. paris was a bit unfreindly, fontembleu was good tho, just south of paris.

ps: spelling is really bad here. brain ain't working yet

Member #
    Heh, I live 2 hours from Glasgow, I go there all the time for gigs (barrowlands, anyone?)

Member #
    can't beat the barras! best place in glasgow:thumbsup:

never realised you were from about these parts. ment to say as well that if your going to travel about europe there is a train/bus pass thing you can get which let you going on any travel for a decent price. can't find a link but when i get back home i can try find the paper work with more details

Member #
    Yeah I heard about EUrail (http://www.eurail.com/) however they do not sell to europeans.

Then I found www.statravel.co.uk - so when I save up 285 I will book that, for the all zones for 1 month. Cheers

Member #
    la clusaz, near chamonix is amazing, go there

Remove Ads