Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I prefer to do all my financial stuff online. That means paying bills when possible, which includes my credit card, as well as general savings/checking account management.

My credit card issuer has a pretty good system; the only problem I have with it is Opera refuses to remember my username and password. My actual bank, though, has the worst system ever made for two reasons: it's overly secured, and the interface sucks. Not just a username and password is required, but the password must change every 90 days and follow a set of password rules, it cookies your browser so if cookies are lost, you need to answer a secret question, and if you forget the answer to that question, you're screwed.

Then there's the interface where it's too complex to transfer quickly from, say, savings to checking, or to view any arbitrary date range history, or something simple like "last month."

Sigh.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Dammit, and apparently my online banking doesn't work with Opera at all. I'll log in, and it just kicks me out.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Man that sucks. Changing your password every 90 days is SO annoying!!!! I used to have that same problem with the UCF website, we would have to change our password like every month, and the password could not be stored in the browser. It was SO annoying.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    GT requires a password change every 90 days or so, plus we have to use a subset of three different character classes, and we can't use any of our previous four passwords.

I don't have a problem with it. Password management, when I need it, is done through KDE's excellent password manager, which encrypts the stored passwords and stores them all behind a single main password. And I always remember my passwords anyway -- I use a rotating set of five of them.

I really don't mind, though. I know why they're doing it, and it makes sense. I'm too lazy to do it on my own computer, but at some point I probably should. Then again, I should instead use a public/private keypair to log into my computer and save myself that trouble.

Member #
    Here, we use a different system.

You log in thorugh SSL of course, but your password changes after each login.
    The password is generated by an electronic password generator (small gizmo you're issued from the bank).

First time you use it, you have to decide on a pin code. That pin code obviously stays the same afterwards, and only the bank can reset it.
    Every time you enter the pin code, a new password is generated. You then use that password in combination with your username to log into the bank.

After a few seconds, the gizmo goes blank, and you have to re-enter your pin code to make it display a password again.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rosland
    ...your password changes after each login.
    Ugh, what a pain!!! :dead:
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    But ya know what... It's the bank, it's got my money in it. I'm sort of okay with them going to vast lengths to make damn sure I don't accidentally click a link and give away my password for someone to take all of that money away... :-P

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Your browser cannot be used with Online Banking for the following reasons:
    You must upgrade your browser to version 4.0 or higher with 128-bit encryption.
    I guess Opera 9 is not a 4.0-era browser, nor is its 256+ bit encryption. And surprise, spoofing the user-agent to be IE instead works fine.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Aah, user agent checks. Hallmark of the 90s.

/me checks calendar. Wait a minute.. Haven't we been out of the 90s for a while now?

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    My bank seems incredibly lax compared to all this! All I need to do is enter my customer number (a 9 digit number that can't be changed), then it'll ask for three random digits of my PIN and three random characters of my password. If I get it wrong after three attempts, my account is locked and I have to apply for re-activation, where the bank will send me a letter with a code that I have to submit. After that I have to change my PIN and password.

It's pretty good, and the interface is easy enough to use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads