Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am sure by now most everyone has learned that David Beckham will be leaving Real Madrid at the end of his contract in June and joining the MLS with the LA Galaxy.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people here who enjoy soccer, but it's nothing like it is elsewhere in the world, I'm not delusional! So, now that Major League Soccer has removed it's salary caps, David Beckham will be added to the roster. Mind you, the LA Galaxy are covering a meager percentage of the dollar amount, but, still.

Two things perplex me... First of all, why, if you're David Beckham, do you want to play in the MLS? And secondly, what will it mean for MLS?

I tell my friends, one United game w/ the Barra Brava, and you're a United Fan (DC United is an MLS team, not to be confused with Beckham's former and more famous United in Manchester). However, a friend closer to the MLS fan clubs group, whatever they call themselves, says DC is a unique situation. I get the impression there is a core of people who follow MLS, or at least their particular team, and the rest of the people could care less. I guess that's what I'm getting at...

So... from the professional point of view of David Beckham, and the logistic point of view of MLS, what do you all think?
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    After 5 years, he'll get the option to own a MLS team. THAT's why he's finishing his career in the USA. $$$
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DCScene
    Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people here who enjoy soccer, but it's nothing like it is elsewhere in the world, I'm not delusional! So, now that Major League Soccer has removed it's salary caps, David Beckham will be added to the roster. Mind you, the LA Galaxy are covering a meager percentage of the dollar amount, but, still.

Two things perplex me... First of all, why, if you're David Beckham, do you want to play in the MLS? And secondly, what will it mean for MLS?
    So... from the professional point of view of David Beckham, and the logistic point of view of MLS, what do you all think?
    You have to understand that David Beckham stopped being a footballer about 4 years ago. The only thing that kept him in the England side was his friendship with Sven. He should never have gone to the '06 world cup and tbh Manchester United offloaded him at the right time.

When he was young he was a player with a slightly above average work rate, he could cross the ball perfectly and he was a wizard when it came to free kicks. Then he started to mingle with Hollywood stars and football became his second priority. (He went to Tom Cruises wedding despite Real Madrid forbidding him to go because they had a match.) After a while his work rate dropped and he just seems to have become more interested in the celebrity lifestyle than football.

So why America? Firstly its the money, at Real Madrid he was being paid around 120,000 a week i believe. This may look a lot but its Beckham, he's more of a brand than a footballer. He has fans in Japan, China, everywhere. Everyone who he has played for has seen shirt sales rocket. I'm pretty sure he is getting most, if not all of the Beckham shirt sales in LA. Thats a lot of money. He will also be closer to his celebrity friends and have a perminate first team place. (He has spent the last 2 season's in Spain as a sub)

If you are a LA Galaxy fan i wouldn't be to happy, any decent defender can take Beckham out of the game with half decent marking. He simply doesn't have the skill, speed or work rate to do any real damage to defenses. As a result its often like your team are playing with 10 men.

If you are a US football fan then you should be happy Beckham has arrived. While he may not be much of a footballer, he is as i said above, a world wide brand and this can only be a good thing for the American game.

Member #
    i'd say beckam was still a good player up untill about a year ago, great freekick taker but real never really suited him. moving to usa will suit him (and his wife!) and will benifit the usa game as with all big name players going to such leagues creates a snowball effect and will get more europe players there.

as for real paying him 120k a week, that was pretty much paid for thro beckhams personal advertising. all real players sign a contract when they start stating that 50% of there personal advertising goes to real!!!! crazy!! thats why real pay crazt transfer deals and wages because they know the will recoupe most of the money..... sound craszy but its true. hence the reason they could afford the galacticos team

Member #
    I agree with much of what has been said.

Beckham is not the player he once was. I dont think theres any doubt that the motive for the move is $$$.

Not only that, but he needs to think about all the premieres he is missing.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired
    After 5 years, he'll get the option to own a MLS team.
    He could buy one now! MLS has been expanding rapidly, and two new teams are currently in the works. The capital to start a team is something ridiculous compared to other sports in the US, I think it's $10mil or something. I'm sure Beckham has that laying around somewhere.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Remove Ads