Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Good mornig everyone,
    I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 which is like a year and a half old and I installed and ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor to see whether my pc was realdy for Windows Vista. Well to make a long story short half the pc's components including wireless card, sound card, among others are not windows vista compatible. I went to the manufacturers sites and they say they are notready to provide Windows Vista support for their products. While researching on the issue (you guys probably know this already) but I found out Microsoft it's not done testing the product, which I asume means it is not quite ready yet. And the price...Gosh.. the Vista version they recomended for me it's about $ 160.00 and I need an extra GB which goes for $155.00 and I DVD player. In the end I thought about it and it's not thet I really need it so I guess I'll just wait.
    What are your thoughts?
    Franklin de Leon
    www.fdvisions.com

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Windows Vista will be a pain the a-- to the people out there (like my parents) who don't have money for all the fancy upgrades (like a dual-core, 2GB of RAM, etc....)

I'm not impressed at all ... and not surprised either! :ermm:
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Regarding the price... I don't really think that $160 is too expensive for an operating system!!! In my opinion... I mean jeez, Photoshop costs, what, like $600? So the operating system, which makes it possible for you to even USE Photoshop costs less than a third of the price for Photoshop? And, SO much goes into making an operating system. My gosh. They have to think about security, usability... and Vista has SO many extra features, like image editing right in windows explorer, cool search and tagging features, I mean so much. So to me, $160 is nothing compared to the price of other programs like Photoshop and Dreamweaver. I mean, it's an OPERATING SYSTEM. Everything else depends on it. Its importance is immeasurable.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    It's not the 160$ that's pissing me off (or course ... 160$ is SUPER cheap), it's what your box needs to have in order to run it.
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh okay - I was referring to this:

Quote Originally Posted by franklindeleon
    And the price...Gosh.. the Vista version they recomended for me it's about $ 160.00
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    yeah,you're right, but just to think of the many other things you have to go thruogh just to install Vista on your pc, I really gives me a headache, imagine what people with older systems will have to do. I guess it's just a matter of wheter you think is worth it or not. I'll probably get it but not until i make sure all computer parts manufacturers and even Microsof are completely ready to provide full Vista support.
    cheers
    Franklin de Leon
    www.fdvisions.com

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberryh
    Oh okay - I was referring to this:
    Oh right ... sorry! :speechless:

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    you don't need all the fancy upgrades. You only need them if you wantglass effect and usless "Flip 3D". You could have the plainer look and it works just fine.

Vista premium is $500, and some people think thats too much. But look up Xp pro price. Its currently $450 (all prices are candian)

Member #
    I wouldnt install/use Vista now, even if you paid me. It's still too new for me. I will stick with XP and Ubuntu, and let all the "Gotta Have It" techies find ALL of the bugs.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Oh, but I would have taken one of those Ferrari laptops that MS sent out to several hundred bloggers with Vista preloaded to test it out... but only because they got to keep the laptop after the test was over. :lick:
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads