Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    I'v noticed the increase in people heading towards firefox for browseing the net, Why is this? What does it have that IE 7 dosent? What are your opinoins on the 2?
    Kye
    ~KY3~

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I like the search feature - I hate it how IE's search is in a separate window. W/ Firefox, a little search bar comes up on the bottom of the screen, and it searches WHILE you type, so you don't have to type the whole word!

Also, Firefox's error console is awesome. It has really nice error messages for Javascript errors - they have so many more details than IE's error messages.

Plus, there's all those extensions for Firefox that anyone can contribute to, so there ends up being just SO much that you can add on to the browser. It makes it totally customizable. You can't get that with IE.

Those are my reasons for <3-ing Firefox.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Ok Thanks im downloading firefox now and shall play around with it for myself. Thankyou
    Kye
    ~KY3~

Member #
    I use firefox for the integrated google search bar and the search box.

IE7 uses msn live search or something along those lines. In short its crap, i can never find the page i am looking for with it. With Google the page is need is always in the top 10 listings.

As for the search bar, Firefox's is just awesome, its at the bottom where it doesn't block the page and its static. It also does live searching and searches the page as you type. IE7 just cannot offer this.

Member #
    Not to mention the plugins... I've found all sorts of useful plugins, especially the very handy Web Developer Toolbar. If you're a web designer (which I'm sure you are), you're gonna love it. Not promoting here, it's just an essential tool.

I use it a lot when debugging sites... and then there's Firebug... which is just as useful.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Find As You Type and Firebug pretty much top my `reasons for using FF' list. Konqueror shares Find As You Type, but doesn't have Firebug, which is sad. But it's the other browser I use. They share two things: (1) they're standards-compliant and (2) they aren't IE. Why the second one? Because for the longest time IE had a huge monopoly, and the result was that M$ stopped developing it. If enough people threaten that market share, they'll start developing again, and maybe finally the web will move forward from 1999...

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I love firefox. Its been my defalt browser for a long time. here how I sum it up.

IE7
    Pros:
    1. Its much more secure compare to IE6
    2. it has tabs now
    3. it doesn't have the box model problem anymore
    Cons:
    1. Its still not as secure as firefox
    2. Its focuses too much on looks
    3. its really short of fetures
    Firefox
    Pros:
    1. Its really secure
    2. It has many extentions
    3. you could add bookmarks on the navigation bar
    Cons:
    1. it slows down if you have too many extentions
    2. I still can figure out on how to have windows media player plaugin in firefox, it just wont install
    3. ...
    ok, I can think of any more cons. but there are no problems

best of all, firefox has the "web developers toolbar" which will be you best friend, trust me.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    IE7 security is much better, but really only in Vista where it can take advantage of the OS's ability to run some programs in a little sandbox. Firefox/Opera/etc., if running under the same environment (and I won't be surprised if future versions do) will still be more secure.

If you like the Developer's Toolbar: http://www.getfirebug.com/
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah, firebug blows the Developer's Toolbar out of the water. I actually still have the WDT installed, but I barely use it anymore. Just like the DOM Inspector, it's mostly been obsoleted by Firebug.

Member #
    Well for me the Developer toolbar is useful for little things.. like if I want to know if a site is using tables, I can just check it directly. And I know how large my page is from all the elements, which are big, etc...
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads