Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I was wondering if there was a way to split a single DSL connection. Do they make a part that fits into the back of the router so you can split it? I just bought a router with one output due to the fact I have only one computer and I bought a wireless router for my other computers. I can't play xbox with my wireless router so i was wondering if there was a splitter so I could plug the DSL cable from the back of the computer and the DSL cable from the back of the Xbox into the router at the same time.
    --Kevin
    15" MacBook Pro With: Mac OSX 10.4.11(Tiger) 1440x900 Windows XP SP2 3GB RAM 1TB HDD
    kevind_2007--"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way."--Babe Ruth

Links:Firefox Download||Google|| HTML Help||DHTML|| Web Design Terminology||Good-Tutorials

Member #
    Can't you do... internet > Router > xbox?

Me and my friends have a 360. We nick the neighbours broadband via a wireless router. We then have an ethernet cable that plugs into the back of the xbox.

Member #
    Thanks for the reply. The wireless router I have has a built in firewall and has no instructions on how to disable it. I searched the companies website (Belkin) and I can't find out a way to disable it. It worked fine for a few weeks but all of a sudden, it would boot me out of Xbox live and even Yahoo Messenger on both of the computers. The IT guy at my work told me that was the problem so i just plug directly into the back of the 'wired' connection router instead of the wireless one. Any ideas on how to figure out how to disable the firewall on that router?
    --Kevin
    15" MacBook Pro With: Mac OSX 10.4.11(Tiger) 1440x900 Windows XP SP2 3GB RAM 1TB HDD
    kevind_2007--"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way."--Babe Ruth

Links:Firefox Download||Google|| HTML Help||DHTML|| Web Design Terminology||Good-Tutorials

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As a side note, I'll mention that just `splitting' a cable is a bad idea anyway. Routers exist because you can't just send data packets from multiple locations over the same line -- they'll interfere, garble each other up, and maybe even destroy each other. This is universally Bad (tm), and will slow your connection down unbelievably, if anything does actually manage to get through.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Also, you should update the firmware on your router. The only router issues I've ever heard of concerning XBOX Live were fixed with firmware updates, or simply setting up the router properly according to www.xbox.com.

Please post the full model name / numbers of both of your routers, as well as your DSL modem.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads