Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    since I am getting very interested into web developing, I thought taking it at a professional level. I am going to buy some books, but I also looking at taking collage for it.

The problem is that I can't find a local collage for web development. I think I am searching under the wrong keywords. What should I be searching for on google? or better yet, is there a list for collages? I live near Toronto, which shouldn't be too hard since it one of the major cities of Canada.

The defination of web developer I am looking at is on this page. It seems like the perfect job for me.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Well for starters, college.

In my experience, there are few programs in major universities that focus on web design and development, probably because the field is changing so often, and also because they're so ignorant and trapped in 1970 that computer science programs still focus on C and Lisp. When I got hired locally, I found that my freelance experience was far more valuable than my education.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    i agree with filburt. I took on a home web course however by the time i worked through the course it was very out of date and didn't really teach much imo. covered nothing about design or planning, etc.

I have now taken a break from the course to study more relavent stuff and get some freelance work in to build up my portfolio.

I would try teach yourself and get stuck into freelance work

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    wow. I thought that colleges would of been up to date by now. I guess I would have to spend all my money on books. I guess I should take course on the business side of web developing such as storyboards, communications, etc.

what should I be studing, both in education, and freelancer?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    The only thing I'd say you could take away from courses is how to plan a project--which is more important than the implementation--and possibly designing user interfaces. The HTML classes, I guarantee you, will be useless, trapped in the days of presentational markup and HTML 3.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    The only thing I'd say you could take away from courses is how to plan a project--which is more important than the implementation--and possibly designing user interfaces. The HTML classes, I guarantee you, will be useless, trapped in the days of presentational markup and HTML 3.
    :thumbsup:
    would boost ur rep filburt but seems like i been to generous to you

Member #
    I'm at school for software development, but it seems that I could have learned twice as much in half the time on my own, and saved a bundle. Then again, good luck finding a job without some sort of degree, even if it's merely an AAS. It's still a decent foundation, but there's never any need for anything more than a Bachelors, and that's even stretching it.

With some sort of degree and good grades you're showing that you can take direction and stick through it. Of course, you could get the same (or better) reputation through freelancing. Then you'd even have something credible to show for you years of learning, not to mention a few references.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You won't get much in terms of web design, but CS programs are valuable because they teach you how to code. I have to take serious issue with filburt's assertion that they're stuck `in the past' teaching C and Lisp, as these languages form the basis of languages today -- one on the one side, the other on the other (past and future, basically). If you understand the insanities of Lisp and the insanities of C, PHP is a little puppy dog by comparison. Java's still a beast, but that's because Java's broken (this latter bit being 100% completely my point of view; many people like Java, I hate its guts more the more I work with it).

Anyway, I'd say if you want to learn to code well for the web, learn to code well, period. And you can do that in a CS program. I *won't* say that it's not possible to learn to code well *without* a CS program, because it is. You just probably won't be exposed to as many approaches to problems. Lisp and Smalltalk being approaches you're not likely to run into by yourself, but will almost certainly see in a CS program. They're both beautiful languages, in their own way, and are internally consistent in a way that very very very few other languages are.

Anyway. Yeah. Degrees are good. Maybe a university degree isn't your thing, but a degree is good nonetheless.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Wow, this seems like a risky business. I would put as a side job, become a freelancer. I would look at the "Request a Service" as a side job. What's a CS program anyways?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Computer Science (Informatics, in some parts of the world).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads