Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    For some reason, I now want to try to install homebrew software on my PSP, probably because of how well it worked for my Xbox.

To do that with the PSP version I have, I need a copy of Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, as it contains a buffer overflow bug that lets you install homebrew software. Easy enough, but there's a catch: only early versions of the game have this bug; later releases patch it, and there's no definitive way of checking what version the game is just by looking at the case or even the UMD (the disc). If you're really interested, the only way to tell for sure is to put the disc in your PSP and see what version of the PSP updater it has; 2.0 is good, but anything newer than 2.0 won't work and is useless.

Because I have zero--none at all--interest in the game itself except for this exploit, I don't want to buy a copy of it if necessary, and I especially don't want to spend money on a copy that might not work yet can't be returned. So far, I've thought of:
    • Renting it from Blockbuster, using a free rental coupon I have, no less. Unfortunately, they don't have it in stock at the moment. The idea is that a rental location is likely to have an older version as they buy the game when it's new and then keep it in circulation, unlike a store which simply sells new versions out of inventory.
    • Getting it from eBay. No way in hell I'm paying $70 and up for a game that costs $25 elsewhere, even if it's guaranteed to work.
    • Getting it used from EBgames/Gamestop; I have no problem buying in there if I'm sure that it will work. So, last night I went to both an EBgames and a Gamestop and tried the only two copies they had. One had a 2.60 updater and the other a 2.81 updater, both of which are newer than the required 2.0 updater.

Suggestions for more ideas? Remember, the key is being able to buy a copy of the game that's a certain version, and the only way to tell for absolute sure is to have physical access to the UMD before buying the game.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Could this be of interest, or am I off target:
    http://ridaas.org/punkabbestia/psp.htm

A list of earlier hacks on Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlaySta...table_homebrew

Some hardware links here
    http://www.psp-vault.com/module-html...lay-pid-14.psp
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It seems none of the other hacks apply to me given I have 3.03 firmware (but luckily, the first revision hardware which doesn't affect hacking).

I was all prepared for an adventure, just me and my GPS spanning six EBgames and Gamestops across central Maryland, until the first one I went to had it. Well, I suppose it worked out well. I haven't tried the hack yet but at least I have the right version of GTA now.

Member #
    From my own links:
    Finally, necessary files and instructions for the 3.03 to 1.50 downgrader are available here, though you will need an unpatched version of Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories for this particular downgrade
    I didn't see that in my rush. Obviously you already exhausted all this before you asked.
    I have some fairly solid hackers as collegues. I'll ask one of them when I get the chance.

I BTW bought PSP to my oldest son for Christmas. He's quite happy with it, and so am I.
    If you make some useful "homebrew" software for it, please let me know.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It turns out the disc I got was scratched or something, because while it was recognized by the PSP in-store, when I actually tried to launch it at home, it kept dying on the Loading progress bar for the game, even if I had no memory stick in the PSP (just to make sure it wasn't the homebrew hack that was dying).

So I embarked on my adventure, and found a copy at the second EBgames I tried, this time. Hacking shall now continue.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Well, PSP = hacked. I installed firmware 3.03 OE-A (a third-party variation of Sony's 3.03 firmware), and unsigned code is now happily running. Now to find a deal on a 2 GB or 4 GB Memory Stick Pro Duo (damn you Sony for your proprietary formats) so I can copy my games to the device and run them UMD-less.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Should your interest still be high, I figured out how to rip UMDs I own to a new 2 GB Memory Stick. Unfortunately, it seems not all games can run when ripped as UMDs, but so far, no problems. As with every homebrew scene, though, the documentation sucks ***, to say the least. I know it's not exactly some corporate product, but the instructions for all this stuff assumes way too much and reads like it was written by 12-year-olds. And I realize the irony of saying that when, earlier in this very post, I said the words "sucks ***."

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    And I realize the irony of saying that when, earlier in this very post, I said the words "sucks ***."
    :classic:

Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    Should your interest still be high, ...
    I bought a PSP to one of my sons for Christmas. I haven't yet explored it to its potential, but it's quite an impressive piece of versatile hardware!

From experience, I know that I at some point in the future, will require a hack or workaround to get it to behave the way I want.
    (hence my interest)
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Just be sure not to install the newest (official Sony) firmware. Versions 3.10 and on--3.11 being the current one--patch the GTA exploit, making them impossible to homebrewify, for the time being.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Well, I sort of got PS1 games working. I got a .bin/.cue format of the PS1 distribution of Quake II to run on the PSP by converting it to the PSP's "eboot" executable format with some free tools and copying it to the Memory Stick. The controls are really annoying, but you can reconfigure them in any game with the firmware's built-in options.

Unfortunately, I couldn't configure it to have an icon in the Cross Media Bar (XMB; the PSP's home screen). Another tool I used that did create the icon would set up the icon properly but the PSP wouldn't launch it.

Meanwhile, my eBay-bought copy of Descent for the PS1 should be on its way by now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads