Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    In a world were the internet is at large. Downloading has become a big source for music. I personally download music regularly, and a lot of my music collection is made up of downloaded music. But stop. Think. Think about what happens when you download music. An artist will spend hours writing music, practicing it and recording it. Then we hop of limewire or another product of p2p applications and download it. Without paying a cent. How do those artists feel? After you have just downloaded there music for free. After they have spent countless hours getting it out.

If that was your job and you tried to make money of it. Would you like it you never made any sales but everyone had your music. Now a lot of artists are rich. But it doesn’t change the fact that you should pay for music. It’s like working in a business and people steal your products instead of buying them.

A big source for downloading music is the program; limewire, it runs on the Gnutella network. And is a big source of music and other files. Literally anyone can grab the program and start downloading music from other people on the network. But is this fair? Is this what we are coming to? Will you ever pay for music again? It seems no. Music is available easily without paying. Mainly because of p2p applications and warez sites.

Is this fair for artists to be putting out music if we are just going to download it off some p2p network? I don’t think it is. And we should all realize that it isn’t fair for them. Bands will get lower record sales and less profits; even though there music is getting distributed at large, to a wide variety of people. I started to realize this when I was looking at the record sales for some bands. Even though the bands were hugely popular there record sales weren’t that high. It alarmed me even more when I was watching CSI. They were talking about a singer. One of the characters in it said she would have to go and “download” some of his music. She didn’t say try, buy or borrow a CD. She said she would “download” it.

With music so easily available for free. Why should you pay for it. Why pay for music when you can just go on limewire or albumbase.com and just download it? As the internet expands music will be more easily available for all. Now I’m not suggesting to just stop downloading music all together (although I recommend doing that). I’m trying to get the point out that you should support the artists you like. Buy the occasional album or t-shirt.

You have the right to distribute this file as whole. Get the message across!

Member #
    To start with your download point, some services allow you to download music for a small fee (Itunes for example).

For me personally, when I hear of a band, I will try and listen to some of their stuff legally, and if I like what I hear then I will happily go buy an album, and try to go to one of their shows, live music is a must for me.

To carry on this point, this is how a lot of bands get known.

A well known british band, The Arctic Monkeys were known online for 2 years before they came a household name, now they are one of the biggest bands in the world.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Pwnz: A statement like that coming from someone who downloads warez, namely you, that's hillarious.

bfsog: never heard of them, The Artic Monkeys
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Really? Maybe I should edit my post, when I spent the summer in USA last summer the people I was hanging out with knew of them.

You should check them out!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The alternative is - go and buy the album blind and discover it's 3/4 rubbish/filler?

Member #
    The alternative is - go and buy the album blind and discover it's 3/4 rubbish/filler?
    Amie Street is set up so that all music listed on the site starts out as free, but the price of each track goes up as more people download the songs. Users get recommendation tokens for each dollar they put into the system and get free credits if the songs they recommend rise in price. Artists receive 70% of sales proceeds.

Member #
    What the *&$@ was that post all about? I don't know if he was lecturing or just putting in links to sites he downloads from or what.......

I agree that you should pay for music. I'm sure we all have downloaded something for free at some point. Whether it is live bootlegs, samplers, or just plain pirating.
    Certainly, I think most people don't do it to take money out of the artist pocket. I think most are fed up with the ridiculous price of cds and dvds.

I remember when cd's first came out, how they talked about how much cheaper it was to manufacture than tapes and vinyl (and then the same with dvd vs. vhs). Yet, the recording companies never passed that savings on. There was the initial high price because of the lure of the new media and along the way, prices stayed up (or went up).

It costs only a few cents to produce and print the cd's. The artists royalties aren't as much as people think. Most of the cd pricing goes to the record company.
    Now with digital music/downloads pricing should go down.........which is why the record companies aren't as behind it as much as they probably want to be.

As for Pwnz you........when you are using a episode of CSI for your "clarity", you probably should go back and rethink your position.
    When someone says "download" it doesn't mean it is illegal. I see an album come out, I don't go pay $15-$20 for it. I go spend $9 and download it.

Somehow, I think this dude's post was one of those first time posts and never to be seen again........
    GMan

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferro
    Or purchase the tracks you like from iTunes. You only like 3 songs from a CD, you pay for 3 songs. Problem solved.:cheeky:

I bet we don't see Pwnz_You again, unless they pop back in just to prove us wrong.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    he's a spammer, easy to track his steps across the net.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Wired i have no idea what you are talking about??? And im trying to say that alot of people never pay for music and just download it. And i don't come on this forum very much so yeah.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads