Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: camera advice

Member #
    right here da situation.

Ma dads 60th is coming up and he has always used a Nikon SLR ,so we (me and ma sisters) were going to get him a Digital one. Looking into the prices they seem to range from about 400 - 800:chinese: . Our budget isn't too great and I was looking for advice on whether to buy this model of camera or to go for another type? any suggestions on and different camera?

Think we've got a budget of 500, but that has to inlcude p&p and I'm also making him a online gallery for his pic so the hosting and domain have to be taken into account. so I think wee'll be look at no more than 400 for the camera.

Don't know squat about cameras so any advice on what to go for would be much appreciated

Member #
    I think you have to take the publishing part out of the equation. It should be up him to decide that.

If he's SLR, then you should try to get him one. I can't remember the name of it, but there's a BIG chain in the UK that sells second hand cameras for a fraction of their reseller cost.

However, if you choose to go for a compact, then I guess you should look at something that has great optics (big lense, large optical zoom), as your father apperantly is a serious amateur.
    Your budget of 500 pounds should get you quite far in that arena.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    cheers, i'll have a search about. trying not to ask my dad as its ment to be a suprise

what do you mean abut the publishing? the website you mean?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Karloff
    ...so the hosting and domain have to be taken into account. so I think wee'll be look at no more than 400 for the camera.
    That one sort of suggested you intended services beyond the camera included in your budget.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    In the US, you can occasionally get an SLR (albeit not always with a lens) for $500 or $600. That equates to about 300 (crazy Pound symbol I don't have on my wacky US keyboard). Such deals are usually had by getting a camera that is at clearance pricing because a new model came out.

You'll save a lot of money on lenses and such if you get a camera that's compatible with the existing lens and equipment he already has. They're sometimes interchangable.

Either way, I would get an SLR, not a standard consumer camera--and I don't even own a digital camera. I couldn't justify spending $250 on a decent camera when, for $500, I could get an SLR with many times a higher quality.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    cheers filburt. advice taken on board:thumbsup:

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/713582/

No idea if it's applicable outside the US, though.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I'm in the same boat as you Karloff. I'm looking for a camera for web design, as well and have done some research.

What I've found so far
    :
    Nikon D60.
    Ask lots of questions. Its your money. Know what your getting into.

At the store I asked the sales clerk what he recommended for web design and he suggested the Nikon D60. It goes for $630 and is a 10.5Mb Camera that does RAW and JPG-Basic. Its a DSLR.

As I was leaving a customer mentioned to me that he owned the very camera I was looking at and said he loved it.

The camera is makes a good point and shoot because it comes with a VR lens kit.

Clerk said I more then likely would not need to buy more lenses as the VR lense would be more then enough for webpage design. Unless doing really close up shots that are very wide.

Here take a look at the review. Also shows comparison charts to other cameras. Found it very useful.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond60/

So far haven't been able to find a decent cheaper camera then the D60.

I just started my search so I hope this helps if you choose to go Nikon.

Member #
    I concur with Onihonker. I'm currently using Nikon D60, it is probably the best camera, in that price range, that I have used. I would definitely recommend you to look into it.

Member #
    If you're looking at digital, then get a 10 or 12 mega pixel camera, that way you don't need zoom, as there are millions of pixels, as apposed to 1.7 million on a 22" wide screen. So that means, you don't have to zoom, just take the shot then crop it, then enlarge. Of course your file size would be massive.

Also, you don't need a really good camera for web design, as the web only displays 256 colours.

Remove Ads