Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Through a search for the highest ranking pages on the internet, I came across this page which will give you all the facts you ever wanted to know, and then some, of all nations of the world.

Apperantly they keep it updated at frequent intervals.
    :-)

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Interesting place, but it still doesn't beat wikipedia's articles. It does seem to include an extensive list about military data, potention army strength and civilian weak points. Ah well, they're the CIA after all.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Brilliant find, I looked up the UK, we have more mobile/cellular phones than we do population.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Lol. I've known about this for years -- it's the first stop in any school project that involves finding something out about a country. When you do Model UN like I did for a while there, the CIA World Factbook becomes a particularly good research starting point :-)

As for competing with Wikipedia -- it may not compete in terms of completeness, but then, it isn't meant to. It certainly defeats it in terms of reliability, however.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    As for competing with Wikipedia -- it may not compete in terms of completeness, but then, it isn't meant to. It certainly defeats it in terms of reliability, however.
    Interesting to hear it's incorporated into schools as an officially approved source.
    I guess that only applies to the US, as most European countries will have a hard time overcoming the CIA reference (from pure political prejudice reasons).

I must, however, admit that I'm impressed with its political neutrality. It's pure facts that are presented, and as you say in the above quote, it's reliable facts that anyone who cares to, can doublecheck through other sources.

It is very accurate, and impressively up to date!

(I have bookmarked it for future reference. )
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh yes. I know that other countries would probably find it difficult to stomach the CIA as a source -- hell, I'd have difficulty stomaching it, since I'm not American-born. However, the CIA World Factbook has, for me, repeatedly proven itself to be complete, reliable, accurate, and interesting :-)

And it really is a *factbook*. Most of the stuff they mention can't really be politically leaned, so it's less of a problem. And besides, even with sources that are politically biased (which they usually all are), awareness can help you filter things the truth out. It's also why it's always a good idea to use multiple sources :-)

Remove Ads